Montesa 4ride suspension

hoodie2

Got a 2021 4ride that I want to set up more like a trials bike than a trail bike. Can anyone help me with information about the suspension differences between the 4ride and the 4rt. The specs on the Honda site give the travel as being the same at the rear (170mm) but at the front the 4ride has 190mm and the 4rt 158mm. I've looked at the parts diagrams for both and can't see any difference in the first two blocks of the part numbers. Both having 39mm Tech forks and Olle R16V shock with the same parts numbers other than the last 3 characters which are supposed to be for model version and colour codes. Can anyone tell me if the parts are the same and if the travel is the same or is there some other variant that gives the 4ride more travel? The greater travel and longer wheelbase listed in the specs suggests longer forks but I havent been able to confirm that by the part numbers. I'm wondering if the differences are acheived just with different pre load settings as the 4ride came with very little sag. 

• 3 weeks later...

Formula have confirmed that the 4ride forks are 33mm longer with 23mm more travel. It feels like this makes a big difference to how the bike rides but I'm not sure if I'm imagining it. When Amos rode one in the six days do you think he just rode a 4rt with 4ride tank and seat or did he actually ride a 4ride?

Any tips on setting a 4ride up for trials type free riding would be welcome. So far I've fitted a 9 tooth gearbox sprocket and 300rr front pipe, increased the sag on the front and dropped the forks 10mm on the yokes and taken most of the damping off.

• 11 months later...

Well when I look at parts lists for the 2023 4 Ride and a 2020/21 4RT 260 (When 260 still had an option for the R16V shock) and also checked the 2023 4RT 260 but it looks like it has a Showa so not thinking it counts, I see the complete rear shock, shock spring, and even shock body all have different part numbers.  So knowing the fronts are different the rear also being different likely would account for the difference. 

2023 4 Ride
Complete Shock: 52400-NN4-L80
Shock Spring:     52401-NN4-L80
Shock Damper:     52410-NN4-L80

2022/21 4RT 260
Complete Shock: 52400-NN4-K11
Shock Spring:     52401-NN4-J10
Shock Damper:     52410-NN4-K10

Or maybe a better comparison would be the 2020/21 4 Ride to the 2020/21 4RT? didn't look that up... maybe the parts are the same between them?

Okay I just looked up 2020/21 both bikes and compared the shocks, springs, damper, and linkage parts (dog bone & connecting plates/arms) are all the same part numbers... the difference might be the swing arms as they are different part numbers... however because the 4 Ride is showing as Polished without having each to measure I can't say for sure.

2020/21 for both. 

4 Ride
52100-NN4-L80 SWINGARM ASSY. POLISHED

4RT
52100-NN4-J10 SWINGARM ASSY (ED/3ED)
52100-NN4-J20 SWINGARM ASSY (2ED/4ED)

Edited by jonnyc21

• 3 weeks later...