Holding Front Brake Lever

Rae

When trying to zap or bring the front end up, I have a hard time giving throttle while having a finger on my front brakes. I am rather new to trials and needing a bit of guidance on whether I should be resting at least one finger on my brakes/clutch lever at all times or not. I am able to clear sections easily when I do not hold my finger on my front brakes (especially because I can manage the throttle a lot easier) but when it comes to me improving, I don't want to have bad habits which will prevent me from getting into harder sections. I practiced holding my finger on my front brakes while giving throttle and it continuously ends up with some whiskey throttle and the kill switch lanyard comes off 😁

This is something that comes with time. If you're new, i wouldn't worry too much. Its definitely advantageous to have a finger on the clutch at all times, but having control of the front brake while zapping or going up steep hills isn't that important. If you need the brake on the far side of the obstacle you can usually reach for it quickly enough then. You may get the hang of it with time, but even if you watch the pros they don't have their finger on the brake at all times. Ive been riding quite a while and still zap without a finger on the front brake, especially if it requires anything more than a half throttle twist. 

If you watch below you can see jaime removes his finger right before dropping the clutch. Not the clearest, but the first video i could find that kind of shows it

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CXb-A-NtYs5/?utm_medium=copy_link

Edited by faussy
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, faussy said:

This is something that comes with time. If you're new, i wouldn't worry too much. Its definitely advantageous to have a finger on the clutch at all times, but having control of the front brake while zapping or going up steep hills isn't that important. If you need the brake on the far side of the obstacle you can usually reach for it quickly enough then. You may get the hang of it with time, but even if you watch the pros they don't have their finger on the brake at all times. Ive been riding quite a while and still zap without a finger on the front brake, especially if it requires anything more than a half throttle twist. 

If you watch below you can see jaime removes his finger right before dropping the clutch. Not the clearest, but the first video i could find that kind of shows it

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CXb-A-NtYs5/?utm_medium=copy_link

Thanks for the info! Certainly gives me hope into my abyssal future in trials

I'll continue on with just having a finger on the clutch and front brake only when necessary 

• Like 1

I'm finding that there is value in getting used to covering the brakes but also learning to move my hands/feet to get to the controls until it is automatic. For example the rear brake, if I ride covering the rear brake I sometimes find I have been inadvertently dragging it. So I try to move my foot and when I need the rear brake just move it back into place as I need it instead of riding with my toes on the brake all the time. Same with the front brake - I tend to ride covering the front brake but see it necessary to remove that finger consciously for some obstacles. Eventually over time I am hoping it all becomes subconscious. 

Personal preference is to cover the clutch always 100%

I cover the front brake almost always, similar to Faussy if I am hitting a larger obstacle or hill that requires a bit more throttle and GO!!!! I will take my finger off the front brake.

As fprintf states, eventually the movements to get fingers back on front brake get to be almost automatic.

• Like 2