22 comp linkage (or something) clunking

Zack

So my 22 comp has a clunking sound that is damn hard to track down. I initially thought it was the bolts from the frame dogbone contacting the dogbone off the shock as clearance is minimal and I did see what appeared to be scratches where you would expect them if it was impacting. well facing both bolts didn't resolve the sound. It's almost like a flex sound but nothing is loose, none of plastic is flexing. it mostly happens on the top of the stroke but not always and sometimes it goes away altogether (but comes back after a couple bounces on the pegs... I disconnected the top of the shock, laid below and had a friend go through the stroke. There was no sound or anything obvious I could see which makes me think it's something flexing, loose or out of alignment?  I've checked and tightened everything i can access without stripping the bike. I'm losing sleep over this..

thoughts?

Otherwise, LOVE the bike, never have i ridden as frequently, and from day one i just seemed to fit me perfectly. I come from a few gasgas ragas (had a 12, 15 and 17gp) and unlike getting on a sherco or beta, the EM felt familiar immediately.

thanks

zack

You have gone through the obvious steps. Trying to think outside the box, since you said top of the stroke, what about chain tension? Adjusted too tight and making noise sometimes? Something in the chain tensioner making noise as it move through its range?

8 hours ago, dgshannon said:

You have gone through the obvious steps. Trying to think outside the box, since you said top of the stroke, what about chain tension? Adjusted too tight and making noise sometimes? Something in the chain tensioner making noise as it move through its range?

Good points. Also, what about the prop-stand. The spring is horribly close to the tyre. If the back wheel isn't quite aligned it could be catching. Or maybe the stand is holding on the rear spindle nut when you first flick it up, then moving up some more the first time you hit a bump. After getting rid of the engine noise of a petrol bike, you discover all sorts of other odd noises you never heard before.

• Like 1

On 2/4/2022 at 3:55 AM, dgshannon said:

Yup, chain has a pinky finger gap between it and swingarm, kickstand and spring removed long ago. The sound is different from components making contact, it sounds more like a flex or creak sound. Initially I though the plastic was flexing and making the sound but I’ve ruled that out.

There is the smallest hairline crack on the rear of the skid plate right at the cold bend I found…I’m thinking maybe there’s flex from that? I should have a new one coming but we will see. I’ll probably weld it before the new one comes since I’m impatient. I’ll update the thread with any progress. Any other suggestions I’ll gladly take. 

First off, I really appreciate the responses, you guys are the best. Come to Oahu and i'll gladly take anyone from here on an unforgettable ride, trust me...

Now back to the creak...It's definitely not chain slap or something moving (chain gap is 22mm, dont want to go tighter, thats not the issue). Interestingly, when I apply either the front or rear brake alone, and hope on the pegs a bit the sound remains, yet with both applied simultaneously and I bounce, it doesn't make a peep.... I think its maybe flex between the frame and plate... but since i'm apparently the only one having the problem hard to get another example to compare... I though maybe it was the same dog-bone issue as this vertigo when reviewed on trialtube, but thats not it. 

thanks again, and I'll update the this thread with anything worth reading about... like i said before, not even remotely a deal breaker, bike and suspension still top notch, and i'm in love with this bike, but a premium bike shouldn't be creaking (none of my previous 5+ trials bikes made a peep when new) and sounds like this make me crazy...

Edited by Zack
more testing

• 3 months later...

I also have tried to find the source of a clunk on my 2022 Epure race.  Mine will also go away sometimes but can be reproduced my hopping on the pegs.  Seems to be close to the top of the rear suspension compression.  I've suspected the rubber mud guard in front of the rear shock, or chain tensioner, but not sure. I had forgotten about it until I read this post. I will check again on my next rides. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/6/2022 at 8:43 AM, emonk said:

I also have tried to find the source of a clunk on my 2022 Epure race.  Mine will also go away sometimes but can be reproduced my hopping on the pegs.  Seems to be close to the top of the rear suspension compression.  I've suspected the rubber mud guard in front of the rear shock, or chain tensioner, but not sure. I had forgotten about it until I read this post. I will check again on my next rides. 

Mine ended up being the bolt next to the clutch fluid plug... looking from the motor side towards the clutch drain plug and you'll see the nut from the bolt connecting the frame to the transmission or whatever its called with no gears... that was the final piece in my creaking puzzle.. I also might have had some rub on the linkage arms below the shock, I faced them off slightly just to be sure but all is good to go now...

• 2 months later...
On 6/22/2022 at 4:59 PM, Zack said:

Mine ended up being the bolt next to the clutch fluid plug... looking from the motor side towards the clutch drain plug and you'll see the nut from the bolt connecting the frame to the transmission or whatever its called with no gears... that was the final piece in my creaking puzzle.. I also might have had some rub on the linkage arms below the shock, I faced them off slightly just to be sure but all is good to go now...

Yes, that's the bolt!  I needed to snug mine as well.  I was just checking back here to post my findings since I hadn't checked this thread in a while - too bad I didn't :(   But someone posted in the Electric Motion Owners Group on Facebook with the same issue.  It seems like this is a common thing.  There are pictures of the bolt that need to be tightened in that Facebook thread.