2018 Evo 200

NoTraction

I might have the chance of a 2018 Evo 200. I haven’t been to see the bike as it’s a couple of hours drive away. I’ve seen a couple of photos but not that clear, the chaps going to send a video tomorrow. He says he bought it used and doesn’t know it’s history. For this reason, he decided to have the engine rebuilt at a local shop, top and bottom he says.

Im a little concerned that a four year old bike would warrant or need a complete engine rebuild, does this sound normal? Is there anything in particular I should look out for?

it’s quite well priced but I’m wary, for what reason would a bike that new be likely to need an engine rebuild? Does it mean it’s probably been trialled to death already and is worn out?

• Like 1

I doubt it's been "trialled to death". The sort of person who buys a 200 doesn't tend to work it too hard. I'd be more concerned with what a 300 might have gone through in a previous life.

Judge the bike on how it looks and sounds. Check (as best you can) the wheel, linkage and swing arm bearings. Warm it up and make sure the fan cuts in. I suppose I would ask what the rebuild actually consisted of, and who did it.

• Like 1

I don’t think I’d take that reasoning for a full engine rebuild at face value, if it ain’t broke don’t fix it. There must have been some cause for concern to spend that money on a bike to then sell it, so I’d dig deeper for a more sensible answer as to why. If there was some sort of failure/wear/noise there could be many causes. Bike could have been submerged & drawn water in & then left to stand, a component (bearing/shaft) at the extremes of acceptable manufacturing tolerance may have failed, run without oil etc etc. I would be trying to find a more plausible explanation as it sounds to me like a cover story to hide the real truth which is probably something the seller knows won’t sound too attractive. Could just be they’ve done something stupid they don’t want to admit to which necessitated the work. ‘Bought it used & don’t know the history’ rings alarm bells to me. It’d have to be cheap, for the seller to buy it in the first place, and to sell on if that’s all they can tell you. I’d definitely want to see a receipt for the work AND checkout the person/business that carried it out. As trapezeartist says, judge it on merit, if they’ve trialled it to death (which I agree is unlikely for that model), then it will be evident in every other component. Good luck with your quest !

• Like 2

I don't think you can read anything into the engine rebuild, the fact that it was done implies nothing of use, any concern should be limited to was it done right and what condition is the rest of the bike in.

While rare in modern trials it's very common with 2 strokes to change pistons and crank bearings as preventative maintenance, just look on the forums for any road going 2 stroke and you'll see people being advised to rebuild any newly purchased bike before riding it, I've seen it on tzr and rd sites.

People come on here every now and then from MX backgrounds asking how often they should do a rebuild.

Edited by totty79
  • Like 1

And some people buy a bike and dont know what premix is. I would ask if he had a reciept for the work. The overall condition usually shows if its been beat.

. Skid plate, swingarm and rims usually tell the real story of abuse or not.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, totty79 said:

I don't think you can read anything into the engine rebuild, the fact that it was done implies nothing of use, any concern should be limited to was it done right and what condition is the rest of the bike in.

While rare in modern trials it's very common with 2 strokes to change pistons and crank bearings as preventative maintenance, just look on the forums for any road going 2 stroke and you'll see people being advised to rebuild any newly purchased bike before riding it, I've seen it on tzr and rd sites.

People come on here every now and then from MX backgrounds asking how often they should do a rebuild.

A 2018 Beta Evo 200 should NOT need an engine rebuild unless it has been run on neat petrol or the throttle jammed on full.  Not your bike is it?

• Like 1

Nope not my bike, nothing to do with me at all.

I said that it may have been done unnecessarily, I never said it should be needed so what's your point.

Considering a bike abused and advising against it because it's had an engine rebuild makes no sense at all, it could be in mint condition for all we know. We have no information to go on.

The advice the OP needs is on how to inspect a used trials bike, basically what is the state of all of the serviceable parts, how to gauge how much use it's had and checking receipts to see what the rebuild entailed and who did it. I'd even say there's nothing wrong with a well used bike if well maintained and priced accordingly.

Hughie, listen to trapezeartist and lineaway they've given some good advice.

• Like 2

Well, he was going to do a video today and send it through but he hasn’t. And it’s been for sale for a month so something doesn’t seem completely kosher, unless he’s just really laid back. It’s a fair trek away so I think I’ll put it on the back burner and just see what happens and if he sends the video. My gut feeling now is to hold off, I’m not desperate and see what else comes along.

Thanks for the input guys 👍

• Like 2