Ignoring the Beta 200…….????

NoTraction

Good Morning,

So I’ve been looking around for an Evo 200, purely because having firmly caught the trials bug I want to upgrade my ‘08 Rev3 250 for something more modern that I can stick with for a year or two and evolve on and everyone seems to think that the Evo 200 is the ‘Holy Grail’ of trials bikes for the novice to progress on. However I have to wonder, if it’s such a brilliant creation, why are none of the other manufacturers making a competing model? The only other 200 2T bike I can see is the Vertigo, which is frankly too expensive at my stage of the game.

I’d consider buying new, but to be honest whilst I’m still likely to drop and scratch/otherwise damage what I’ve got for a while yet something 3 or 4 years old would be more than adequate. And if finding a suitable Evo 200 proves challenging, where else should I be looking? There must be other bikes that would fit the bill?

Are any of the 250’s out there known for being milder mannered than others? Or what about a 125 even? I only have experience of my Rev3 and I don’t need anything more powerful, just newer preferably. I’m not realistically going to be able to try everything out first. Things I don’t like about the Rev3 are the Beta clutch issues and I’m not a great fan of the left hand kick start but neither are deal killers. A more progressive clutch would be nice if some models are better this way.

So if a suitable 200 doesn’t appear, where else should I be looking? 53 years old, 80kg, average build and height.

I was in your position a couple of years ago. I too gave up on looking for a suitable 200 so I opted for a Beta 250 Evo. The power was more than adequate for me but didn't scare me silly. (I'm told the Beta is less fierce than some other 250s, but I have no direct experience to confirm that.)  Unless you have a wonky left leg the left-kick shouldn't bother you. Just get used to it. It seems that Beta clutches are a lottery and have been for over 20 years (!). The famous "Beta clutch mod" may improve things a bit. For me, changing to Putoline Nanotech was a significant improvement. About the only gearbox oil I didn't try was ATF. After all that the clutch was just a tiny bit draggy (but could be easily held back) and the first gear engagement of the day went in with a clunk. All in all, I found the clutch less than ideal but OK.

• Like 1

Beta clutch can be made progressive (plates, spring preload, clearance and oil are all factors) but although I ride a Beta I prefer the gas gas clutch.

Might be worth sticking with the rev3 if the bits that matter are in good condition, same motor as the Evo, and a 3 or 4 year old bike could easily need a couple of hundred quid worth of parts to refresh it if maintenance been neglected

The other 250s I've tried were livelier than the Beta.

Most 125s are compared to 250s lively rev happy things but with less power, and they feel lighter. I think they're fun to ride but not everyone gets on with them.

Some 300s can plod along nicely on the torque at low revs, they aren't all beasts, but there is a more risk of them catching you out.

• Like 1

We had a 250 Rev 3 and the missus upgraded to an Evo 250.  (I looked for a 250 TRS but had to buy a 280 as that was all I could get at the time).  The Evo is not fundamentally different in my view - I found the front a bit lighter and it lifts easier than the Rev, but then I have got more skilled (ha ha did I really write that??) so it could just be that.  The TRS is a much much better bike but you need to be a bit gentle with it.  I got used to it after a few rides and the Evo now seems gutless by comparison.

Just back from a ride this afternoon in the mud.  There were over 60 riders and as many bikes as you can think of.  Several Evo 200s.  My mate has an old Rev 3 and still rides rings round me.  Missus has big smile and had a great day (but then it is muggins that gets the cleaning task).  One of the best riders on an AJP trail bike with lights and winkers!

Ny all means get a new bike - we all are big kids and want a new toy, but it really is not going to make much odds to be honest.  The reason we upgraded was the Rev 3 rear shock is discontinued and the exhaust rubs the back tyre.  The Evo is a nicer bike for sure but not mega different unless you are shelling out big time for a 2-3 year old factory.

FWIW the Rev had better brakes than the Evo.  The braktec units of the TRS (and most other brands) are light years better.  The diaphragm clutch is nice too.  By all means get an Evo but soon you will want a TRS 😁

• Like 1

Thanks guys, so that’s sticking with a 250 but newer…. The idea was to get something newer but hopefully not just the same as I have or there’s little point. I’m trying to figure out what way is best to go in the absence of the hard to find Evo 200.

Any opinions on modern 125’s? 

Funny on all the opinions. 2 years ago sold my 2016 Beta 250 factory. Bought a TRS 300RR. Never did get along with it. Too quick of power and the handling was too quick too. Might be just right if you only rode like Bou. Bought a 301 Montesa just cuz it was the 75th anniversary edition. Sentimental buy as I started out on a 1971 cota 247.

My neighbor still has my Beta. My financial advisor tells me I should have kept my '16 Beta.

Buy a newer 250 Beta, it is way better than the rev 3 ever was. And I went through seven of those.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, lineaway said:

Funny on all the opinions. 2 years ago sold my 2016 Beta 250 factory. Bought a TRS 300RR. Never did get along with it. Too quick of power and the handling was too quick too. Might be just right if you only rode like Bou. Bought a 301 Montesa just cuz it was the 75th anniversary edition. Sentimental buy as I started out on a 1971 cota 247.

My neighbor still has my Beta. My financial advisor tells me I should have kept my '16 Beta.

Buy a newer 250 Beta, it is way better than the rev 3 ever was. And I went through seven of those.

Thanks for this. In what ways is it better? 

For starters the Evo turns! Have you never ridden one? The brakes on the newer models are better than the revs ever were.The power is soft on the bottom, but there is nothing you can't get up. The rear suspension works very well. I enjoy how the Beta still carries more fuel than the other brands the 250 motor gets good mpg. 

I have been a Beta rider most of my trials life, the evo felt great to me the moment I got on it. And I can still remember my first event on my brand new 2000 rev 3. I felt the same way, it rode like my techno but everything worked better!

GOOD Luck in your search.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, lineaway said:

For starters the Evo turns! Have you never ridden one? The brakes on the newer models are better than the revs ever were.The power is soft on the bottom, but there is nothing you can't get up. The rear suspension works very well. I enjoy how the Beta still carries more fuel than the other brands the 250 motor gets good mpg. 

I have been a Beta rider most of my trials life, the evo felt great to me the moment I got on it. And I can still remember my first event on my brand new 2000 rev 3. I felt the same way, it rode like my techno but everything worked better!

GOOD Luck in your search.

Thanks Lineaway,

No, I haven’t ridden one. I’ve only really ridden my Rev3 as far as trials go, although it is a well sorted Rev3 (I hate poorly maintained bikes where stuff doesn’t work properly). I do find it a bit cumbersome on some turns, whether that’s the bike or just my lack of technique yet I don’t know.

Any years better or worse on these? I guess I’ll be looking at bikes up to around 2018/19 budget wise.

I have a '21 200 Factory and like it a lot. If you find a 200 in good condition, at a reasonable price.... buy it. That said... I've had a chance to ride every year standard Evo 250 from '17 to '22, and a '21 250 Factory. of them all, I really liked the '22 250 right out of the box, with the '21 250 Factory a close second.  People prattle on about how Beta hasn't done anything and just new stickers, but I think the minor tweaks have improved the bike.The power is really soft and smooth and the bike hooks up everywhere. It turns really well and the suspension feels very good.   When I replace the '21 200, I'll probably go with a standard 250. I never felt that way, when riding the older 250's.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the comments and guidance. There are two 200’s that I know of for sale, a 2022 model that’s six weeks old for £5k and a 2021 model locally with not much use for £4300. They’re both a bit more than I wanted to fork out at present, I don’t really need to spend that much at this point if I can avoid it as I will still be dropping it and scratching it for a while yet I think! They seem to hold their value well …. Although the bikes mentioned are still for sale, they’re not sold so maybe the prices are a tad expectant.. difficult to judge as there are so few around.

It's a man thing.  New hobby - do it two weeks - buy a million quid's worth of new kit.  Get bored 6 months later.

Ride the Rev - work on your skills.  Stop looking for a new one.  I would bet you a tenner if you buy a Beta 200 you will be shopping round for something else in 18 months.  Use your power of obsession to obsess about balance not bikes.

• Like 3