Jump to content

Ignoring the Beta 200…….????


Hughie
 Share

Recommended Posts

39 minutes ago, ChrisCH said:

It's a man thing.  New hobby - do it two weeks - buy a million quid's worth of new kit.  Get bored 6 months later.

Ride the Rev - work on your skills.  Stop looking for a new one.  I would bet you a tenner if you buy a Beta 200 you will be shopping round for something else in 18 months.  Use your power of obsession to obsess about balance not bikes.

It’s almost like you know me Chris….! Sound advice there though if I put my sensible head on 👍

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

Agree with ChrisCH, you're over thinking it. Ride the REV3 until you have improved your skills. Then start riding other bikes until you find one that you really like, and feels right, then buy one of those.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 
3 hours ago, Hughie said:

It’s almost like you know me Chris….! Sound advice there though if I put my sensible head on 👍

I guess the real question was should you buy a newer bike at this point of your trials journey, not whether you should buy a 200 or 250....

Like other said, keep working on your skills on the Rev3. When you are practicing and competing every week and trials is driving your life.... then start thinking about an upgrade.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

If you discount the 200, then 250 EVO is very likely the next best option. Far more around, as it must be one of the top sellers. You can always drop a tooth at the front if you find it a bit lively. Buy the best example you can. Prices have firmed up during recent events. Some opportunistic pricing by some vendors, & bargains are a bit thin on the ground.

Beta 4t also probably worth a look for beginners, as soft power, especially the rarer 250

   

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

I do like the idea of a 4T but I was told it would be a bit much for a beginner. I didn’t really understand this as I would expect a 4T to be less feisty than a 2T but this is what happens when you haven’t got the opportunity to try everything out…. 🤔

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 
8 hours ago, ChrisCH said:

It's a man thing.  New hobby - do it two weeks - buy a million quid's worth of new kit.  Get bored 6 months later.

Ride the Rev - work on your skills.  Stop looking for a new one.  I would bet you a tenner if you buy a Beta 200 you will be shopping round for something else in 18 months.  Use your power of obsession to obsess about balance not bikes.

Fair point. What ratio of rider/bike performance contributes to a good result? 80/20, 90/10?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

I have to agree with Chris CH, tshock250, & nhuskys. Concentrate your efforts on your riding and if the chance to have a go on another bike comes up then take it, maybe even be cheeky & ask a few others for a test ride ! While you’re improving keep an eye out for other bikes but don’t get consumed by it. You could end up buying that ‘holy grail’ evo 200, only to be disappointed when it doesn’t meet your expectations. How many golfers do you know that always want new clubs ? Or the phrase a poor workman always blames his tools ? I’ve never had a budget for fancy bikes, (09 evo currently) and am only a clubman plodder, but you can’t beat the satisfaction of getting the results through to find you’ve beaten the guy who turned up with the latest up-to-datest bike with matching gear & a new van 😂. Just go ride & enjoy.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 
11 hours ago, Hughie said:

I do like the idea of a 4T but I was told it would be a bit much for a beginner. I didn’t really understand this as I would expect a 4T to be less feisty than a 2T but this is what happens when you haven’t got the opportunity to try everything out…. 🤔

We are very fortunate that Beta USA has a program, to send dealers 4 trials models for a week to set up demo rides. I got to ride new '22 Evo 200, 250, 300 2T and 300 4T, back to back in the same sections that I'm familiar with. I discovered that I'm not a 4T rider and prefer a 2T.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

Hi Hughie, Had several Betas; 2002 rev 3 250, 2004 rev 3 200, 2008 rev 3 250, 2010 Evo 250 and 2016 Evo 250. All good & reliable.

The EVO is better than rev 3. Big change is that from end seem much easier to lift, also turns better and generally feels lighter. I would upgrade to an Evo. On 200 v 250, a 200 is good but my mate was looking for a 200 but could not find one and bought a 250 Evo, 2020 model. I had a go and compared to my TRS 250RR which was softened with head spacer and slow throttle the Beta was softer had good soft power and was easy to ride, my mate was quite glad he had not found a 200.

Unfortunately I have a dodgy left hip and left kick start gives problems otherwise I would have a Beta Evo now and would recommend them.

As background I was at best a mid level clubman rider but now a 60+ veteran so not going up big steps etc.

Melba

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 
12 minutes ago, melba26 said:

Hi Hughie, Had several Betas; 2002 rev 3 250, 2004 rev 3 200, 2008 rev 3 250, 2010 Evo 250 and 2016 Evo 250. All good & reliable.

The EVO is better than rev 3. Big change is that from end seem much easier to lift, also turns better and generally feels lighter. I would upgrade to an Evo. On 200 v 250, a 200 is good but my mate was looking for a 200 but could not find one and bought a 250 Evo, 2020 model. I had a go and compared to my TRS 250RR which was softened with head spacer and slow throttle the Beta was softer had good soft power and was easy to ride, my mate was quite glad he had not found a 200.

Unfortunately I have a dodgy left hip and left kick start gives problems otherwise I would have a Beta Evo now and would recommend them.

As background I was at best a mid level clubman rider but now a 60+ veteran so not going up big steps etc.

Melba

Thanks Melba,

This seems to be something I'm reading more and more. There's nothing 'wrong' with my Rev3 but it was never intended as a long term bike, just something cheap enough but modern enough to dip a toe in - and now I'm up to my waist, so I want something I'll stick with longer that's not so obsolete. At present, its a good bike in good order. It might be good to sell it on to another beginner in this state. If the rear shock goes, or I break the rear fender, both parts that can't be easily replaced, I'm then stuck with something that suddenly is hard to repair or loses what value it currently has.

Interesting what you say about the 250. I have a dealer calling me this afternoon to discuss a 2020 200 he has coming in and there are also a 2021 and a 2022 I'm aware of but they are pricey (due to newness I expect).

I love the look of the TRS, Vertigo etc but I need something steady. If a 250 is as steady as a 200 then that should broaden my horizons a little .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 
13 minutes ago, Hughie said:

.... There's nothing 'wrong' with my Rev3 but it was never intended as a long term bike, just something cheap enough but modern enough to dip a toe in - and now I'm up to my waist, so I want something I'll stick with longer that's not so obsolete. ...

LOL.  My TRS is 2017 and I am nearly as bad as you at hanging my nose over something else. (I look at ebay more or less every day - passes the time at work.....)

If I were you I would look at something that will last you as you improve so more like the TRS One R 250.  The Beta is not a bad bike but you should look at the 250 and a newish one.  If they "push" you a bit that's not a bad thing IMHO.  A motorcycle is not a camel it cannot "get away from you"  - you're just riding it badly. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 
12 minutes ago, ChrisCH said:

 

If I were you I would look at something that will last you as you improve so more like the TRS One R 250.  

What would be the difference between the TRS and the Evo with regards to manners?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 
4 minutes ago, Hughie said:

What would be the difference between the TRS and the Evo with regards to manners?

I can only draw on the experience of my wife's Evo and my TRS.  The Evo brakes are less good and the bike is a bit gutless compared to my 280.  She (the OH) loves the Beta and finds it "perfect".  She has been a road rider for a long time but no off road.  (Current bike Ducati monster, last bike CBR600RR)

The extra power of the TRS means it climbs on much less throttle compared to her smaller Evo.  Beyond that they are both good trials bikes capable of far far more than either of the riders.  My bike spat me off the back the first time I rode it and was a big step up from the Rev3.  It took a couple of hours but the engine only revs as far as you turn the throttle and the drive stops turning the wheel if you pull the clutch in.  I've got very used to it now and love it.  Still scares me if you go over a big obstacle and give it too much, but that's just me - crap.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 
1 hour ago, Hughie said:

What would be the difference between the TRS and the Evo with regards to manners?

Hi, My 2018 TRS250RR was quite a bit "sharper" than a standard 250 Evo even with head spacer and slow throttle. I believe the ONE R is softer per SXS advert but have never tried one.

TRS RR is a great bike with better suspension (Reiger shock & Tech forks) and feels lighter than a standard Evo. One thing with TRS is I do not believe a flywheel weight can be fitted, Beta has removable weight.

I would lean towards the Evo as a beginner when moving up from rev 3 but TRS is a great bike, easy to work on and with good support from SXS.

How a you with the rev 3, if you feel in control then moving to another 250 of any make should not be too difficult, most can be softened up.

Melba

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 
10 minutes ago, melba26 said:

 

How a you with the rev 3, if you feel in control then moving to another 250 of any make should not be too difficult, most can be softened up.

Melba

I certainly don't need anything more powerful for now and less might feel more manageable. I say powerful, I know they aren't 'powerful' in the true sense but I would like to feel master of the machine power wise rather than the other way around...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
  • Create New...