Beta or Fantic!

NoTraction

You are rarely in high traction situations in trials so I don't find the TY brakes to be an issue.  The TY is also not that heavy at around 175 lbs.  The Honda 4t is listed at 170 lbs so not much difference at all.

As an amusing example... I had been just riding my TY for a while and commonly riding over a log about 12" diameter with the top maybe 18" off the ground.  One day I went to the same exact place on a 280 Beta.  I lifted the front wheel and anticipated the front wheel hitting the log so I could apply the second blip but the back wheel was instantly on top so I was over the log before I knew what happened.    

• Haha 1

Hi Hughie, I commented on your 250 v 200 thread, to add comments here, everyone has different requirements. I just want a reliable bike that I wash, minimum servicing & ride and do not want to tinker (my children and grandchildren take up my spare time), therefore comments are purely on a bike to suit an aging novice. 

Older twin shocks are heavier, sometimes can not kickstart in gear hence have to find neutral if stalled, clutches are heavier, tubed tyres do not grip as well as modern tubeless tyres, rear suspension is significantly worse especially getting up steps and unless something has changed since I rode them drum brakes really are poor when wet and going downhill can be a nightmare. The only advantage I can see is that they seem hold or go up in value, a modern machine generally drops. 

I have great respect for Alexz Wigg and he could probably go round a trial on a Harley for a lower score than me on my modern bike however I would go for an Evo and if you get a 250 and its to much you can soften it in various ways.

Melba   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, melba26 said:

Hi Hughie, I commented on your 250 v 200 thread, to add comments here, everyone has different requirements. I just want a reliable bike that I wash, minimum servicing & ride and do not want to tinker (my children and grandchildren take up my spare time), therefore comments are purely on a bike to suit an aging novice. 

Older twin shocks are heavier, sometimes can not kickstart in gear hence have to find neutral if stalled, clutches are heavier, tubed tyres do not grip as well as modern tubeless tyres, rear suspension is significantly worse especially getting up steps and unless something has changed since I rode them drum brakes really are poor when wet and going downhill can be a nightmare. The only advantage I can see is that they seem hold or go up in value, a modern machine generally drops. 

I have great respect for Alexz Wigg and he could probably go round a trial on a Harley for a lower score than me on my modern bike however I would go for an Evo and if you get a 250 and its to much you can soften it in various ways.

Melba   

Alexz is a great bloke, we got on really well. He’s from the same small town as me yet somehow we’d never met. I expect because he spends most of his time elsewhere with trials stuff! I’ve got another day lined up with him in a few weeks, whatever bike I have by then I’m going to try my best not to irreparably damage it half way through the day this time! It was watching him effortlessly bounce up the rock steps that got me…. Unbelievable…. Anyway, I’m settled now. Modern it is, I’ll probably pick a ‘doo-er up-er’ twin shock of some description down the line for tinkering around with. Maybe rescue an old TY and pimp it up a bit. But not for my main or only bike at this stage…

• Like 1

Because I was riding a lot of trials run by "classic" clubs, I decided I should have a classic bike and bought a Fantic 200. After a while I realised that you should only own an old bike if you have a passion for old bikes. I haven't; I just want to ride trials. So I changed to a Beta 250, and since then I've changed again to an Electric Motion. If you really love twinshocks, buy one. If not, buy a modern bike. That's my two penn'orth, for what it's worth.

• Like 2