04 gas gas txt280pro no spark

RichJJ

Hi after help, relatively new to trials not a lot of knowledge, had the bike a few years and always run well for its age, was riding a few weeks ago and it just stopped, no spark, done the usual tests plug, kill switch bad earth ect but with no results, I've been in contact with a few stator rewinders and they say that the 12 coil stator that is in my model are pretty much bullet proof so would more likely to be the pick up, the CDI box or the voltage regulator, the pickup has been tested by west country Windings and it's ok, so down to it most probably being the CDI box, these apparently are extremely hard to find now, I have also been told that Kokusan do a complete ignition system for this bike but I can't find it anywhere, does anyone have any fixes for this problem , cheers Rich

My 04 has Kokusan electrics with separate units (CDI & Coil) where as the Ducati electrics have an integrated CDI & Coil all in the same box.

If you have Kokusan you could do this check before spending a lot of money.

Test the CDI box by taking the +ve wire off the ignition coil and fit a test lamp between it and the frame, Take the sparkplug out so the engine will spin easier using the kick start spin the engine over,  this test should hopefully make the test lamp flash if the CDI box is sending a signal to the coil. 

If it flashes then the coil is suspect!

If it doesn't flash then the CDI is suspect and more expensive!

• Like 1

Mine is the Ducati system with the 12 coil, I've been told by Bradford Ignitions that you can't use the Kakusan parts with the Ducati stator you have to replace the whole system which I'm happy to do but I can't find one cheers for your info ever little thing I hope helps me to resolving this 👍

I helped a friend with his 07 Pro that had Ducati electrics and no spark, We changed the regulator first but ended up replacing the CDI box which fixed the issue. We got the parts from GGUK now called John Shirt Motorcycles.  You need to be sure its what you need before buying them because they are pricey, They cannot be returned once they've been unwrapped and fitted. 

It's worth taking the flywheel off and carefully inspecting the wires from the pick up for breaks or shorts.  A couple of times I've had problems and found this to be the fault.

They are not always obvious as it is all pushed in and behind the flywheel as well. I only found it when I took the pick up off to replace it.

Cheers Eddie the whole ignition system has been removed from the bike, the stator and pickup have been tested and are working, which narrows it down to the CDI/coil box and the voltage regulator which is most likely to be the CDI from what I'm hearing, the problem is finding the part, I'll buy the whole loom if I can find one 👍

A common problem with the Ducati ign system is the voltage regulator failing. This is the aluminium finned unit. Underneath this, the electronics are potted with a green looking mix. When the regulator fails, a component burns out and discolours the potting, have a look to see if there is a brown discolouration, failure is from the component overheating. I have had one of the failed units in the oven to soften the potting mix to dig around the components to see what had failed but never managed a conclusion. Try some of the UK bike wreckers for a complete, used Kokusan system, from 2002 upwards.