Reality of 315R ownership

retromlc

I am thinking of revisiting this model, I would use it in trials at a low club level, 

Now they are so old what's the reality of obtaining parts, gaskets engine parts, gearbox parts etc in the event of a 23 yr old part giving up? Is it scouring the net looking for a used part or certain items being unobtainable...

Advise please

1997 to 2001 Model Trials bike is going to depend on how hard a life it's had so far... Tires, chain, sprockets, brake pads, rotors, levers, grips and footpegs are typical wear parts and still available, since they share fitment with many newer model bikes. Though a 1999 model can be 23 years old, many of the parts you mentioned rarely even need replacing. Used bike prices are pretty high lately, so be cautious when buying something so old.

HRC build quality top drawer & the 315 is generally perceived as a desirable, emerging classic. Loads of folks spend  their hard earned  sprucing them up.  Later models command higher prices, but even the old ones do well if in good order & have been updated. A good one will last forever.

As with most off roaders, there are hounds out there, largely due to owners lack of maintenance skills.

Many parts shared with the 4RT, & clutch plates same as CR 250.  Plenty of fancy front pipes out there. Tailpipes too, but not middle box, which is no biggie.

Most bearings off the shelf of your local bearing shop. Clutch cover O ring seal is a PITA. Just use RTV instead

Early Dellorto's troublesome, but a nice PWK 28 sorts out that problem, Pistons used to be hard to find, but S3 now doing them.

Plastics, & all manner of "dee cal" kits out there. 4RT items can be made to fit. Side stands rubbish, same as 4RT. Air boxes not brilliant either.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A couple of years ago I would have said dont bother as OEM parts were becoming scarce, nowadays you can get piston kits, rings, cranks etc and reproduction mudguards. Suspension on the later models is the same as 4rt. As said already most of wear items are readily available linkage bearings etc.. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, pjw123 said:

HRC build quality top drawer & the 315 is generally perceived as a desirable, emerging classic. Loads of folks spend  their hard earned  sprucing them up.  Later models command higher prices, but even the old ones do well if in good order & have been updated. A good one will last forever.

As with most off roaders, there are hounds out there, largely due to owners lack of maintenance skills.

Many parts shared with the 4RT, & clutch plates same as CR 250.  Plenty of fancy front pipes out there. Tailpipes too, but not middle box, which is no biggie.

Most bearings off the shelf of your local bearing shop. Clutch cover O ring seal is a PITA. Just use RTV instead

Early Dellorto's troublesome, but a nice PWK 28 sorts out that problem, Pistons used to be hard to find, but S3 now doing them.

Plastics, & all manner of "dee cal" kits out there. 4RT items can be made to fit. Side stands rubbish, same as 4RT. Air boxes not brilliant either.

Hey mate, 

could you please provide a bit more detail reg the cluth chover o ring. I am in need of one :)

My two cents:
I bought a 1997 recently. Generally in a good shape, but did not get any maintenance. I had t do:

- few spokes&nipples rear and front
- chain and sprokets
- air flter
- rep kit both brake calipers incl pads
- rep kit master cylinder (front brake and clutch)
- reed valve and gasket
- rep kit PHB carb
- float valve PHB carb
- inlet elbow brass PHB carb
- rep kit fork (seals and bushings)
- bearing head steering
- Chain tensioner
- rear brake pedal
- wheel bearings
- bleed screw clutch

Could source all the parts. I am locate din New Zealand so I had to get most of it overseas. But it was possible....and she's is a beauty now ;)

But yes, it would be good to work on a database showing what parts could be replaced with parts of other models...

• Like 3

Hello there,  I'm from deepest North Yorkshire, so we are fairly well set up for all trials related stuff.  

I once had a problem trying to get the special clutch cover o ring seal to sit right & seal properly. I'd had the cover powder coated, which might have been a factor. So I had to try one of those well known Saturday night fixes. (Most of our trials start on a Sunday morning at 10:30, so  quite a few folks are busy on Saturday nights)) 

1. Thoroughly clean & degrease outer cover O ring groove & case face.

2. I used a small black silicon Instant gasket RTV tube dispenser (Wynns or similar, available from car parts shops)

3. Have a practice go at running a small bead on a test piece.

4, Work out the best start / stop point to ensure optimum continuity, then run a  very small bead of sealant into the groove around the entire circumference. (Ensure continuity & it must look "right"). If you have to start using your fingers, you are heading towards a "fail".

5. Allow to cure. You are essentially creating a new, slightly larger compressible O ring out of the RTV (don fit it yet)

6. Once cured, re fit cover, oil her up & away you go.   

Are you purchasing it purely for the novelty of having a 315? Personally i feel they are overrated, as they were never really the best in class during their time. I feel their slightly elevated price now is just because they are a 2t honda. Don't get me wrong, if you like the bike and want it basically because you want a 315, go for it, but if you have stumbled across it because maybe your budget limits you to an older bike, IMO there are better bikes at a more sensible price than these. The fact you say you are revisiting it, means you had one previously, but its a little unclear what your intentions are. Is it a 2nd bike, or is it going to be your daily driver.

Ive a friend who struggled a lot to find gearbox parts for his 315, 5 years ago

Edited by faussy
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the reply, I first had a dabble with trials about 2008 and it lasted like most people about 5 minutes as it's a lot harder than it looks and I was riding enduro, 

I bought a beta 250 4t and casually rode it for about 5 years then got more into the sport and bought a new 2020 repsol. 

I guess I fancy a 2t as well. And I don't really like the beta 2t having ridden a few, and  thought about the other brands but they all.seem.to have their issues, ideally a new 2t but a GasGas 250 is about £5700, and others are well over £6+k

I see the 315 at local event's and I thought a classic might sorta hold its value as I'd take it out now and again, if I could find a good local 250 I'd look at it regardless of brand.i guess I think the build quality of the 315 will , with maintenance stay together better than a similar aged different brand.

• Like 1

I had 3 brand new 315s back in the day (not all at once!) and loved them - especially the build quality although I personally got on better with a 311 a few years earlier (no idea why as most folk slated them).

Like you I was looking for an older 2T to supplement (if that’s the correct term for adding more the collection!!) my new 4RT a couple of years back and looked at a couple of 315s. In the end I couldn’t quite work out what this would actually be for and went for a TY175 which has been great fun, plenty of parts etc available and with the benefit of being able to enter different types of classes/events.

Off subject I know, but a decent twinshock is a fun change and easy to tinker with.

5 hours ago, retromlc said:

Thanks for the reply, I first had a dabble with trials about 2008 and it lasted like most people about 5 minutes as it's a lot harder than it looks and I was riding enduro, 

I bought a beta 250 4t and casually rode it for about 5 years then got more into the sport and bought a new 2020 repsol. 

I guess I fancy a 2t as well. And I don't really like the beta 2t having ridden a few, and  thought about the other brands but they all.seem.to have their issues, ideally a new 2t but a GasGas 250 is about £5700, and others are well over £6+k

I see the 315 at local event's and I thought a classic might sorta hold its value as I'd take it out now and again, if I could find a good local 250 I'd look at it regardless of brand.i guess I think the build quality of the 315 will , with maintenance stay together better than a similar aged different brand.

Sounds like you've been thinking this over for a while. Id definitely test ride one before buying, and try to use your judgment (hard i know) that the non replaceable stuff works well and don't worry too much about the general wear and tear stuff as mentioned above

Edited by faussy
  • Thanks 1