Does change the rear sprocket size make much difference in gearing\power delivery?

Joe@Trial

Hi all,

I ride a vertigo DL 12 2021 and keep snapping the chain the middle of nowhere. As such, I'm looking to buy the strongest chain possible, which appears to be a RK chain. Unfortunately they don't do half links which a vertigo need (a 103 link chain). So I'm think about buying a new rear sprocket to fit a 104 link chain.

I don't want to mess with how the bike rides, so does anyone know if changing the size of the rear sprocket makes much difference at all?

And on the off chance, does anyone know what sprocket teeth count I'd need for a 104 link chain on a vertigo?

If you keep snapping chains you are doing something fundamentally wrong, and changing sprockets just so you can fit a stronger chain isn't the best way to go about it. Chain tension too tight maybe

• Like 2

I'm not new to the sport. Both times I've cought the chain on a rock. I'm looking to reduce the likelihood of a chain snap. The tension is always set correctly.

Any advice on the actual question would be helpful

Edited by Joe@Trial

I would have to wonder how your riding or adjusting the chain if your snapping one as well.  (Edit: hitting it on rocks.. makes sense)

Outside of that question I recall something like around 3-4 rear teeth is about the same as changing 1 front so defiantly can/will affect the way the bike rides.  If there is a chance you can keep it at 1 or 2 and get the longer chain to fit that would be best to the least impact on how it rides.  maybe small enough change you will not have a big adjustment to get used to?

best of luck. 

Edited by jonnyc21

Thanks Jonny!

Also fyi, the high end RK chains stretch a lot less quickly than the regina chain that comes with a Vertigo i.e they last longer. That's another reason I want to change.

Edited by Joe@Trial
  • Like 1

FYI: I think there is online chain gearing calculators that might help with this.

And as I think about it a bit more you should be able to add a few to the rear and then up the front 1 and get the same, or nearly the same, ratio to keep it even closer to stock feel if you are careful about the calculation.  Hope that helps. 

• Like 2

On 3/7/2022 at 5:20 PM, Joe@Trial said:

Hi all,

I ride a vertigo DL 12 2021 and keep snapping the chain the middle of nowhere. As such, I'm looking to buy the strongest chain possible, which appears to be a RK chain. Unfortunately they don't do half links which a vertigo need (a 103 link chain). So I'm think about buying a new rear sprocket to fit a 104 link chain.

I don't want to mess with how the bike rides, so does anyone know if changing the size of the rear sprocket makes much difference at all?

And on the off chance, does anyone know what sprocket teeth count I'd need for a 104 link chain on a vertigo?

What size is your front sprocket?  

• 4 weeks later...