Help: Beta EVO Fork seals leaking, again!

pancho247

Hi

I have a 2013 Beta Evo, had it from new, very little use (5 trials a year on average, give or take) and when it has been ridden it's just the easy course.

Just before Covid started the fork seals went so I had them replaced by my local Beta dealer. I did 1 trial then lockdown struck and the bike didnt see any more action until November last year. I did 1 trial and the forks seals were leaking again. I have had them replaced by my local dealer again and done 2x easy trials and now they are leaking again. BUT also, when the bike is sitting on a stand in the garage doing nothing, the oil is pooling underneath almost as if its pressurised and pushing the oil out by itself? The RH side is worse than the LH side but both sides are leaking.

Any thoughts what the problem could be? I don't want to throw another set of seals in, I suspect something else is wrong? Bushes could be worn but I'd be surprised given how little use it's had??

Thanks

Is the fork oil leaking from the seal area and running down the lower fork legs ?  OR is the oil dripping from the bottom of the fork legs.  What does the oil look like. Is it clean or dirty-used looking.    It sounds like you need to find another me-chan-ik, me fix to work on your bike. just saying----

It's definitely leaking from the seals. I'm assuming its running down the leg then onto the floor but not really checked. Are you thinking there might be a leak in the fork leg? Like a crack?

The oil is clean, it was changed with the seals.

Something was assembled wrong.  To see for your self - The seal you can see on the fork leg is a dust wiper. Find a small fairly sharp flat blade screwdriver and LIGHTLY tap it between the edge of wiper and metal fork leg, gently turn the screwdriver to make a small gap. move the screwdriver where the gap is smaller- do not tap the screwdriver any more- just twist to expose the dust seal until you can slide the wiper up the fork leg. then look at the fork seal. it should be flat. if it is not flat across the top of the oil seal it MAY have been installed up side down. If you can see a small metal round spring on the seal area where it almost contacts the upper fork leg-- its been installed up side down.    You have had FAR too much troubles  - time & $$$  put into a easy job to have it slobbering oil out even when the bike is sitting unused. Also-- The oil seal could have been wrecked during installation. Assembled correctly, assuming the upper fork legs do not have nicks,, dents- ect on them, These seal job should go many years and not leak.   Find a photo on www of oil seals- any size or type- one that shows both sides of the seal to know 100% what to look for after you pry up the dust wiper.       all i have said is just a guess-- if i were not so far away-- washington state- usa- I would gladly repair correctly FREE, you buy parts% oil.  you get to clean up the messes-- toold- oil pan-- ect-ect.  just to help out a fellow beta owner.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Mine did the same 2009 Evo model just had new seals fitted when i bought it Stood in the house 1 week later seals started leaking Replaced the seals and 2 trials later started leaking o/s first then near/side yes they were fitted correctly done many Beta's and other models never had any problems previously my son is a mechanic at a trials shop and said they have had a few Beta's done that when standing.

Our old Rev went through a number of seals at a similar pace.  I asked about this and was advised to fit the GKN seals.  These are the green ones.  They were no trouble.  The new Evo has had two seals replaced but again no trouble after that.  The cheap seals off ebay were a few pounds versus the green ones at nearly 30 quid.   If your seals are not genuine GKN then they will almost certainly not last very long.

Over here in usa, There are 2 generations of SKF Green seals & wipers.  The 1st generation sometimes leaked too soon.  The 2nd generation of SKF green seals- i am uncertan about the dust wipers-  the new seals are sold as an improved version less prone to leakage.      Lots of folks have good results with NOK branded seals.  There are many seals --  and electronic devices that are not genuine- fakes from-- china. beware.

We had the same problem, changed seal and still leaking.

Have changed them for all balls ? As read on this forum. Problem solved 🙂

O, and some tape around the edge of the fork to protect the seal when installing.