Swm noob

Antman_1

hi new to the forum and the twinshock scene. 

just though I’d introduce myself. my dads had this tucked away in a garage for the last 32years. After a couple of failed attempts to get it running in the mid 90s I though I’d have another go now technology is a bit better. 

4E7E0B0F-EF5B-4466-923C-395871B14775.thumb.jpeg.0a7074fa29066835b977f2f09109b79d.jpeg

600A5122-A037-4CDC-8ED3-6C546271194A.thumb.jpeg.36a52751b23f13df86ea9b22df80bcf2.jpeg

A4082282-4D92-42D8-9F02-AB68BE87A1F8.thumb.jpeg.b0865401de5ce41824c548e1ebaab7ac.jpeg

and here the bike is “finished” it’s meant to be a little ratty and rough around the edges. I don’t fancy turning up at some local trials events with a shiney new looking bike and being rubbish haha. 

I went a little different on the tank

F9293A1A-0152-411E-A1E9-86581CB536B8.thumb.jpeg.fe86312fab90c7b6a412c252e4cfe907.jpeg

Edited by Antman_1
  • Like 2

Hi antman, you don't say whether you have it running?? if you have a spark but it won't run! check the flywheel key as the 280 was a bit prone to shearing it, so you will need a flywheel puller to check. When you put it back together make sure you use a torque wrench as it needs to be done tight,also while flywheel is off,if key was sheared check the taper on crank and in flywheel as the slightest damage will cause future problems [which means lap them in with grinding paste to get a perfect fit if any damage evident] I assume you have done a basic going over with the carb etc..Add onto that change the footrests!! if you look at the modern ones they give far better boot grip and aid balance.. you can buy a weld-on kit to improve them or get some s/h gasser ones which are plentiful and hopefully a reasonable price, and hopefully that would save you having welts up your legs from your foot sliding off. The only other thing I hated about SWMs is the clutch would drag or not disengage instantly [friends bike] which very nearly sent me off a bridge parapet [bloody scary] so check correct oils required and don't try to scrimp with any old oil!!! Hope you have great fun and get practicing with your local club members as you will find them very helpful and yes they will laugh when you crash but thats the learning curve.[ mines lasted 48years and they still laugh,but when they crash its doubly funny] PS. Those plastic leavers were scrapped back in the 80's for good reason,try some amal ones as they are pretty robust??

11 hours ago, trialman said:

Hi antman, you don't say whether you have it running?? if you have a spark but it won't run! check the flywheel key as the 280 was a bit prone to shearing it, so you will need a flywheel puller to check. When you put it back together make sure you use a torque wrench as it needs to be done tight,also while flywheel is off,if key was sheared check the taper on crank and in flywheel as the slightest damage will cause future problems [which means lap them in with grinding paste to get a perfect fit if any damage evident] I assume you have done a basic going over with the carb etc..Add onto that change the footrests!! if you look at the modern ones they give far better boot grip and aid balance.. you can buy a weld-on kit to improve them or get some s/h gasser ones which are plentiful and hopefully a reasonable price, and hopefully that would save you having welts up your legs from your foot sliding off. The only other thing I hated about SWMs is the clutch would drag or not disengage instantly [friends bike] which very nearly sent me off a bridge parapet [bloody scary] so check correct oils required and don't try to scrimp with any old oil!!! Hope you have great fun and get practicing with your local club members as you will find them very helpful and yes they will laugh when you crash but thats the learning curve.[ mines lasted 48years and they still laugh,but when they crash its doubly funny] PS. Those plastic leavers were scrapped back in the 80's for good reason,try some amal ones as they are pretty robust??

Thanks for all the info trialman. That’s was a brilliant reply. 

luckily I finally got it running. I ended up with a new electronic ignition and a new carb from mid Atlantic trials. 

it’s amazing. I put on the new ignition, carb and new plug in. Changed the oil and it started 2nd kick. After 32 years of standing in a garage. 

yeah I’ve had to put new pegs on too as one was missing so I went for some wider weld ones. 

I know exactly what you mean with the woodruff!! I’ve already ground one flat after not torquing the only one up enough!

im on the hunt for a lighter clutch! Trying to find some Aprilia parts.

im lucky to have a little land to practice on and I’m living it!  

CF02D3A8-058D-4725-95B0-6E961232DF43.thumb.jpeg.dcfa81da368a139d9928d2661fbcac40.jpeg

9BD7BFAE-7BC2-4E93-81BD-D8DCC85CE215.thumb.jpeg.13f03a0e5b8eaf58bf3753cff75d4c36.jpeg