199A Head Stay??

Gearboy

Hi, Been looking over your site and lots of good info. I'm fixing up a 199A and it does not have a head stay/steady. I ordered one from In Motion, but I have two questions. First, is it really necessary and do I need to re-torque the entire head bolts and nuts? The guy at In Motion said only do the two that hold it onto the head, while a shop here in the States said you should loosen them all and re-torque. Not sure what to do.

199A head steady is not a good design. Mine has been broken for at least one year now. Seems to work well nevertheless. Best is of course to loosen all necessary bolts and retighten to avoid extra strain after assembly. For my 199B I have made a new and better design but not tested yet.

If you don't use one you risk bending the top tube I've seen a lot with bent top tubes as a result of broken stays. On mine I've welded a long bolt into the channel where they break to add extra strenth. The 199b has a better head stay when mines stripped down for a repaint I'll be making one the same.

Edited by robido
  • Like 2

When you fit the head steady, make sure that the spacer #138.10 - 119  (no. 39 in the illustration) is in place on the frame fixing bolt , otherwise it will not tighten correctly. This spacer is easily lost.........

Bultaco 199 engine.jpg

Edited by lorenzo

Lorenzo, I checked the frame and the mounting today. Where the head stay mounts on the frame is barely 5mm wide, far narrower than on the exploded view. Mine is a199A frame. So I would not think a spacer would be necessary.

3 hours ago, Gearboy said:

My parts does say my frame number (9077) uses the bushing.

The spacer in reality is narrower than it appears on the drawing. The frame bracket provides an ideal "chute" for the spacer to roll down and out (to get lost) when the bolt is withdrawn.......

Without the spacer, tightening the bolt will possibly deform the frame bracket and makes the bolt likely to come loose.

On 3/16/2022 at 7:32 AM, carl ekblom said:

199A head steady is not a good design.

.......and can give trouble even when all fixings are tight.