Clutch grabbing

mattmanning

I bought a Sherco 290st the other day and its great apart from the clutch. When started from cold the clutch won't disengage so if you drop it into gear the bike shoots forward. If you keep dropping the clutch with the engine off and rolling the bike back and forward it frees off. I take it that's not normal. Also once riding the clutch does seem slightly heavy I don't know how heavy it should be but I'd say it's sightly heavier than my mx bikes clutch.

There's lots you can do to avoid the clutch-sticking-when-cold thing happening but lots of people don't bother doing them and just get good at freeing it up.

Are you willing to do a bit of work on the Sherco to stop it happening?

• Like 1

Lots of trials bikes do that.  One friend would pull in the clutch, put it in gear and rock back and forth with the engine off to break loose.  I find it easiest to start the engine and put in gear with a little open space in front, clutch in.  20 seconds of riding around blipping the throttle with the clutch in breaks is loose.  Do clutches still stick with dimpled steel plates?  I heard that some year Beta's came with dimpled plates.      

• Like 1

On 3/22/2022 at 8:01 AM, kurtas said:

Fixed it for you.
Best advice is to point it in a direction free of obstacles.

Or the opposite. I used to put the front wheel against something and put it into second gear. Once free it would stay free until the whole engine was allowed to cool again.

Perhaps the "Beta Clutch Fix" (see the Beta sub-forum) would work on a Sherco too.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

It will, Beta & Sherco use the same friction plates & that's why both suffer from the problem. The glue holding the friction material often fills in the gaps between the pads & traps the cold oil between the plates causing them to stick together

On my ST250 I just point the bike downhill, push the bike forward, get my feet up, drop it into gear, and ride it at low revs with the clutch pulled in until it frees ... I've been meaning to try some Dexron 3 in the gearbox to see if that helps, since it worked well on my TY

• Like 1

I use Motul Transoil Expert 10w40 in my ST 250, I have very little grab when I ride the bike regularly. I also had until last year a TY 250 and 10w30 motor oil was doing the job ok, after rebulding each motor ( I had a few ) I would drain the crankcase, fill ( 1 liter ) of ATF ride for an hour or so replace the ATF with 10w30.

Guy