Unleaded or super unleaded

Krich

You in america or europe ?    Here in usa petrol-gas- Non ethanol gas is 92 octane.  $ 5.09 per gallon.    Octane is measured diffrently in europe than in usa.   I would try super unleaded listen to the engine for knocking noise - when motor is up to running temp, give it a big hand full of throttle on a slight uphill grade with the transmission one gear too high and listen for knock- pinging.    Uncertan if this applies to trials bikes- nearly all new fast types of dirt bikes are whats called global spec motors--   this means a person should be able to run gas from automobile gas stations with no issues. --   My 2020 scorpa manual sez 96 octane.  I mix 50% sunoco 110 standard- 50% 92 octane non ethanol gas with on issues.   pardon spelling mistakes----  dave in washington state.

The 250 is really low compression and isn't aggressive on the ignition timing, it doesn't need high octane fuel. (Maybe double check the compression ratio on the 2021 but it's had the lowest compression ratio of the range for many years)

Assuming you're in the UK you may choose super unleaded for other reasons like it being e5 not e10 but it's not essential.

Assuming you are in the UK, I would use Esso Synergy Supreme+ 99 which actually contains no ethanol (in most of the UK), so will last longer in the tank if bike unused, also more detergent to keep things clean.  For the extra cash the amount used is pretty trivial.  I use it on all my motorbikes and chainsaw and have no probs with it going gunky.

https://www.esso.co.uk/en-gb/fuels/petrol

• Like 2

On 3/24/2022 at 6:34 AM, totty79 said:

The 250 is really low compression and isn't aggressive on the ignition timing, it doesn't need high octane fuel. (Maybe double check the compression ratio on the 2021 but it's had the lowest compression ratio of the range for many years)

Assuming you're in the UK you may choose super unleaded for other reasons like it being e5 not e10 but it's not essential.

Wow, so do you blokes in the uk only have fuel with E in it ? We are pretty lucky down here, we have 91,95 & 98 unleaded NO E, the main E is E10 but not all servo's sell it.

It mainly only seems to be the cut price servo's that sell E10, Shell don't sell it & i think Mobil don't sell it also,i have seen a few servo's sell E85 also. I use 95 in my KTM & Sherco enduro bikes, but use 91 in my TLR 250's & Suzuki RM 250 2 stroke, somebody said unless it's a high comp 2 stroke it doesn't need any more than 91 ?

Yes in the UK all normal unleaded is now e10 and 95 octane, super is e5 and 97 to 99.

E5/10 is the maximum ethanol percentage in the fuel and it's how it has to be labelled at the pump, there's very little info available about the actual percentage in any particular fuel.