Adjusting the clutch

MarkB2001

Hello, I’m trying to adjust the clutch on my bultaco sherpa model 92. When I try and screw and nut they’re very tight, but also the whole clutch system spins with it. How can I hold it all still so I can loosen these and re set them in the right location.

0C54625E-C702-4EBC-8A4E-9DB6C403C2DD.jpeg

Just now, lorenzo said:

Hi -

You need to find a way of locking the engine/stopping it turning, Put it in 5th./top gear and  apply the rear brake hard while attempting to loosen the locknut.

HTH.

Okay Thankyou, I’m having trouble with the kickstart not engaging. I think it’s maybe how the Clutch lever is setup. I managed to re adjust the clutch plates but still have the problem of the kickstart not engaging 

If you can accelerate the the bike hard in top gear without the clutch slipping then the problem is with the kickstart mechanism.

If you find the clutch slips when you try and accelerate hard in top gear, then it is the clutch slipping that is causing the kickstart to "not engage".

If you can't start the motor because you can't get the motor to turn over with the kick start or by push-starting in 4th or 5th gear, then the clutch is slipping or the primary chain is broken.

If you provide more information about the recent history and condition of the bike, you will get more relevant help.

1 minute ago, feetupfun said:

If you can accelerate the the bike hard in top gear without the clutch slipping then the problem is with the kickstart mechanism.

If you find the clutch slips when you try and accelerate hard in top gear, then it is the clutch slipping that is causing the kickstart to "not engage".

If you can't start the motor because you can't get the motor to turn over with the kick start or by push-starting in 4th or 5th gear, then the clutch is slipping or the primary chain is broken.

If you provide more information about the recent history and condition of the bike, you will get more relevant help.

I’ve recently rebuilt the engine, replacing bearing, seals etc. Primary chain is okay. Before I put the clutch arm on the engine the kickstart has some feedback but doesn’t spring back and when setting up the clutch cable it goes to completely no feed back with no spring back. I followed how to set the kickstart shaft up internally and made sure it wasn’t knocked when putting the crankcase together.

8 minutes ago, MarkB2001 said:

I’ve recently rebuilt the engine, replacing bearing, seals etc. Primary chain is okay. Before I put the clutch arm on the engine the kickstart has some feedback but doesn’t spring back and when setting up the clutch cable it goes to completely no feed back with no spring back. I followed how to set the kickstart shaft up internally and made sure it wasn’t knocked when putting the crankcase together.

If the clutch pushrod has any load on it at all, the clutch will slip. The adjusting screw in the clutch pressure plate has to be backed away from contacting the pushrod to avoid clutch slip. Do this adjustment of the screw with the cable disconnected then fit the cable and make sure the cable has some slack too.

As for the kickstart lever not returning by itself, does it have a return spring fitted? Have you fitted both dowels in the gasket face of the magneto cover? Is the kickstart shaft straight? Are you trying to use the kickstart without the magneto cover fitted?

5 minutes ago, feetupfun said:

If the clutch pushrod has any load on it at all, the clutch will slip. The adjusting screw in the clutch pressure plate has to be backed away from contacting the pushrod to avoid clutch slip. Do this adjustment of the screw with the cable disconnected then fit the cable and make sure the cable has some slack too.

As for the kickstart lever not returning by itself, does it have a return spring fitted? Have you fitted both dowels in the gasket face of the magneto cover? Is the kickstart shaft straight? Are you trying to use the kickstart without the magneto cover fitted?

I shall try those things in the morning, yes the shaft has a spring. I’m not sure if it’s overly tensioned. Both the dowels are there. The kick shaft appears straight and was straight on rebuild. I rotated the kickstart shaft by hand slightly before putting the cover on and the ignition flywheel span. However when the cover and clutch cable was attached there seemed to be no movement or feedback 

• Like 1