Scorpa SY250 clutch part prices

crankcase

I may be able to buy 2002 Scorpa sy250 (yamaha two stroke engine) (beginners bike for me) for sale but it has a badly dragging clutch. I checked online for new friction and steel plates and it looks like £180 Is that in the normal price range? a slave cylinder if also needed would add even more. I realise I may be able to sort it by cleaning and working on the plain steel plates but if not..maybe not worth doing.

Can anyone say what is the average price range of a complete and running machine in reasonable condition?

Regards

Edited by crankcase

It's unlikely it will be the clutch plates.

Much more likely it needs Master cylinder, and/or slave cylinder seal kit.

When the seals are knackered it bypasses oil past the damaged seal and then doesn't push the clutch plates apart far enough to get full disengagement. Hence the drag.

Should be a relatively cheap fix.

Thank you, I only had a brief look but there didn't seem to be any fluid leak around the master or slave cyl.

I never knew about slave cylinder mounting cracks that I read about after viewing so i'll also need to check that.

Regards

May just need some clutch adjustment to remove some excess ''play'' at the hand lever and slave cylinder actuated arm on the block?  Also, sometimes  the little steel clutch lever (on engine) gets bent and needs a tweek back to correct angle. 

As pauls320 Says check the clutch actuator arm, there is a mod you can do to give it more stroke, might be covered on here somewhere

from memory you move the nut from the inside to the outside so that no thread is exposed

also use motul 4t oil again from memory speak to Nigel Birkett 

On 3/30/2022 at 10:11 AM, crankcase said:

Thank you, I only had a brief look but there didn't seem to be any fluid leak around the master or slave cyl.

I never knew about slave cylinder mounting cracks that I read about after viewing so i'll also need to check that.

Regards

There is two seals in the Master Cylinder. So you can have a knackered internal seal (the one that actually does the work), but if the outside seal is still good you will not see any leaks.

Commonly there is two small holes in the reservoir tank base. One supplies the oil to the hydraulic line, and hence it supplies the force on the slave. The other is just there to lubricate the body of the piston, so supplies a little oil between the outside and inside seals as a way of reducing friction between the piston and the bore.

If that internal seal leaks -  the fluid will bypass slightly and end up back in the reservoir instead of pushing on the slave 100%.

Very very common issue on all AJP, Gremica and Braktec seals as they age.

Edited by arnoux