4 rt oils and service intervals

crankcase

Hi folks,

UK post: Apart from the montesa recommended slikolene for the engine and elf for the gearbox what other decent alternatives are used?

I've read a few different hours for the engine and gearbox oil changes, for a bike that is not used in competitive trials (does it matter?) what would be a reasonable interval.

I read on a FB group, that an owner never changes the engine oil filter (not once in 10 years of ownership) - but just changes the engine oil, twice a year and gearbox oil yearly

He used it for Clubman trials 2-3 times a month and did the airfilter after every event in summer.... and only monthly in winter

His bike was fine and just ran ok, for the last 10 years, despite never having changed the oil filter

I waited to the 6 month mark to change out the Elf oil. I went to the Nills trial clutch oil. The Elf came out looking terrible. I sure regret waiting too long. On my second change with Nills. Starting to look clean again. 

My employer changes his oil yearly. Seems his bikes could last longer if he maintained them more often. 2 17's, 4 16's and the other 6 05's are plumb worn out. 

I have stayed with very clean motor oil. Changed every month or two depending on use.

I think it pretty dumb to run any engine in old oil. Yes it's expensive, £10a go?2 pints of beer?? The oil breaks down and loses its protective ability not to mention circulation all the debris it might hold in suspension. On a £7k retail price bike.

I swapped oil every 16hrs, filter 32hrs

If engine oil came out looking golden...if, it would be fine to use in my old Honda C90

If it looks black after 50 hrs use, I would be pretty worried about that low stressed engine

Do most people change engine oils at 15 hrs?

• 2 weeks later...

After much consultation with machinists and mechanics, I went with a 5 gallon pail of Dexron THF1000 hydraulic fluid. To be fair, I changed it out several times immediately, for a "base line" test. It seems to work same as the ELF 740. 

• Like 1