Tech SAG or spacer bushing

A_ekis

hello, first of all forgive my english, i'm using a translator

I own a montesa 300rr 2018 and I have a problem with it., he bike is very low from the front, the static sag is very large even with the spring fully preloaded.

Looking at the user manual, the spacer bushing in the drawing is much larger than the one on my bike, at first glance about 4x more, but since it does not give measurements, I cannot verify it.

Does anyone know the size of this cap? I also have a vertigo with a similar fork, but this spacer does not match, so I would like to know the measurement of a 300rr like mine.

at all times I am referring to the spacer bushing, marked with the number 2 in the attached image.

Screenshot_2022-04-10-22-36-45-838_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg

thanks for your answer, but I've looked and the size of that spacer is nowhere to be found.

I have disassembled the vertigo and as you can see in the attached file, the bushing measures 17mm, that of the montesa 11mm, neither of them coincides with the image in the manual. (the spring of the montesa is 4mm longer than that of the vertigo and also thicker, even so the montesa is much lower than the vertigo)

however, if you look at the attached frame of a maintenance video of a tech mounted on a trs, it does look much more like the one in the manual. which leads me to assume that each brand mounts different springs and spacers even if it is the same fork.

Yesterday I opened the fork to change the oil and see if I found anything strange, and the only thing I saw was that when I loosened the cap on both bars, I could hear perfectly how much air entered them. Something very strange and that had never happened to me. Even so, when I finished, although it fell much less, it still had much more free sag than the vertigo, even with the Montesa having a stronger spring. I take the vertigo with zero preload and the montesa even at the top, it still seems sunken to me.

IMG_20220411_183949.thumb.jpg.7886572c22f0cc2de198585f5e32a5ee.jpgScreenshot_2022-04-10-23-06-56-775_com.google.android.youtube.thumb.jpg.f11ad868a3bebe9171996cefd66ae79a.jpg

I had the same issue with my 300RR. For me it started when the front was solid when cold. I discovered the previous owner had put heavy oil in so I returned it to standard spec. Then it was way too soft. I found two things; firstly, the spring was a soft one so I replaced with a standard spring. Secondly, I found the spacer was like yours, looked to be smaller than standard. What alerted me to the problem was that there was no resistance when I removed and then replaced the top cap, almost like the whole assembly was too short.

I made up a replacement - double the size - and immediately improved the situation. But I was keen to get to the standard and correct spec so I ordered a replacement (I bought this from Splat Shop UK, Tech do a kit with the nylon cap and spacer. It was somewhere between the two extremes. You'll see in the pictures, the small one removed, the middle one is the standard replacement and the large is one that I made. Hopefully, this will give you some idea of the size. Sorry I can't measure as the bike was sold.

Good luck BB2BBA76-6EC7-4D49-92E3-555518EF6A45.thumb.jpg.30996ce8013b196e049a5b1c370c09c2.jpgIMG_4163.thumb.jpeg.992c52e0463d7ea5ec6929c9a334f31d.jpeg

17 minutes ago, Johnny Reggie said:

Tuve el mismo problema con mi 300RR. Para mí comenzó cuando el frente estaba sólido cuando hacía frío. Descubrí que el propietario anterior había puesto aceite pesado, así que lo devolví a las especificaciones estándar. Entonces era demasiado suave. Encontré dos cosas; en primer lugar, el resorte era blando, así que lo reemplacé con un resorte estándar. En segundo lugar, descubrí que el espaciador era como el suyo, parecía ser más pequeño que el estándar. Lo que me alertó sobre el problema fue que no hubo resistencia cuando quité y luego volví a colocar la tapa superior, casi como si todo el conjunto fuera demasiado corto.

Hice un reemplazo, el doble del tamaño, e inmediatamente mejoré la situación. Pero estaba ansioso por llegar a las especificaciones estándar y correctas, así que pedí un reemplazo (compré esto en Splat Shop UK, Tech hizo un kit con la tapa de nailon y el espaciador. Estaba en algún lugar entre los dos extremos. Lo verás en las imágenes, la pequeña quitada, la del medio es el reemplazo estándar y la grande es una que hice. Con suerte, esto te dará una idea del tamaño. Lo siento, no puedo medir porque la bicicleta se vendió.

Buena suerte BB2BBA76-6EC7-4D49-92E3-555518EF6A45.thumb.jpg.30996ce8013b196e049a5b1c370c09c2.jpgIMG_4163.thumb.jpeg.992c52e0463d7ea5ec6929c9a334f31d.jpeg

Thanks, it's a great help, luckily I have lathes so machining that part doesn't take me more than two minutes, as you wanted, what I'm looking for is to start with a standard configuration, my bike is also second-hand.

the spring that I had in the vertigo is a harder spring than the stock one, even so compared to the one in the montesa, the latter is even stronger, but the progressive spirals (those that are closer together) are much more numerous in the montesa.

the latter, together with the low preload (as you say, the plug goes in and out without exerting pressure) makes the bike work too low from the front for my liking, although at the end of the run we do find a firm suspension.

In any case, the problem that made me open this post came from the fact that for some reason, the bars expelled the air and when they were stretched they remained with negative pressure and this made the bike go completely sunk (to add insult to injury. I spent a day of competition) I don't know what could have caused the problem, but since there's no harm in the world, now that it's located I'll start playing with different heights and bushings until I find a compromise that I find pleasing.

Edited by A_ekis

4 hours ago, A_ekis said:

Thanks, it's a great help, luckily I have lathes so machining that part doesn't take me more than two minutes, as you wanted, what I'm looking for is to start with a standard configuration, my bike is also second-hand.

the spring that I had in the vertigo is a harder spring than the stock one, even so compared to the one in the montesa, the latter is even stronger, but the progressive spirals (those that are closer together) are much more numerous in the montesa.

the latter, together with the low preload (as you say, the plug goes in and out without exerting pressure) makes the bike work too low from the front for my liking, although at the end of the run we do find a firm suspension.

In any case, the problem that made me open this post came from the fact that for some reason, the bars expelled the air and when they were stretched they remained with negative pressure and this made the bike go completely sunk (to add insult to injury. I spent a day of competition) I don't know what could have caused the problem, but since there's no harm in the world, now that it's located I'll start playing with different heights and bushings until I find a compromise that I find pleasing.

Here's a link from Splat Shops site regarding Tech Springs for Alloy stanchions. You can identify the spring by the number of tightly wound turns. You probably know this already but the oil recommended is an OJ product which we can't get in the UK. Comparing the specification the nearest product that I found was Motul Factory Line, Very Light 2.5W.

As you say it is easy to make a spacer. I'm sure that it will improve matters.

Cheers

image.png.114af6dfcb6ab2c6e268458b9dc29f8f.png

Hace 43 minutos, Johnny Reggie dijo:

Aquí hay un enlace del sitio de Splat Shops con respecto a Tech Springs para puntales de activación. Puede identificar el recurso por el número de vueltas apretadas. Probablemente ya lo sepa, pero el aceite recomendado es un producto de jugo de naranja que no podemos conseguir en el Reino Unido. Comparando las especificaciones, el producto más cercano que encontré fue Motul Factory Line, Very Light 2.5W.

Como dice, es fácil hacer un espaciador. Estoy seguro de que mejorará las cosas.

salud

imagen.png.114af6dfcb6ab2c6e268458b9dc29f8f.png

Muchas gracias por tu información, eso no lo había encontrado por ningún lado, aquí en España, aunque hay muchos fans, esta suspensión es brujería para unos y secreto de estado para otros, imposible sacar nada en claro.

Por las fotos diría que la Montesa es la 903 (porque es más larga) y la Vertigo es la 902

the oil according to the montesa 5w manual (I know it varies from one brand to another) I usually use motul or motorex with good results in both.

Edited by A_ekis

22 minutes ago, A_ekis said:

Muchas gracias por tu información, eso no lo había encontrado por ningún lado, aquí en España, aunque hay muchos fans, esta suspensión es brujería para unos y secreto de estado para otros, imposible sacar nada en claro.

Por las fotos diría que la Montesa es la 903 (porque es más larga) y la Vertigo es la 902

the oil according to the montesa 5w manual (I know it varies from one brand to another) I usually use motul or motorex with good results in both.

My pleasure. You're right it is a dark art and it does require some searching to get to the information. If the suspension police see this then doubtless I will be butchered in my bed 😂

It would make sense that the Mont has a stronger spring than the Vertigo. I have a Vertigo these days but haven't had it apart yet!

I am intrigued as to why our spacers were both smaller on our bikes. With respect to the springs, Top to bottom, they are heavy duty, Medium and Soft. I installed the medium and all was well. The 2.5W Motul is the equivalent of the OJ 5W (and also Showa SS05).

Cheers, Reg