Gas gas txt 2003 clutch problem

Felix_Frenademez

Gas Gas clutch packs have a thickness range, if you got new plates but didn't check the stack measurement you might have ended up to thick, if so it will make the lever pull harder and the engagement wrong.  I don't remember the measurement but maybe someone else here can chime in on what it should be? 

On 4/22/2022 at 11:12 PM, Felix_Frenademez said:

Hello i have a gas gas txt 280 pro raga but it has one problem the clutch as soon i touch the clutch lever it engages too fast just changed the plates but it did get worse thanks for your help

I have measured the plate pack thicknes it is 9.80   the user manual seas it should been between 9.75 and 9.85 

What could it be else

On 4/25/2022 at 2:47 AM, Felix_Frenademez said:

I have measured the plate pack thicknes it is 9.80   the user manual seas it should been between 9.75 and 9.85 

What could it be else

Something to note is that if you bled the system with fresh fluid that can actually speed up the system a bit, sounds strange but it sure happened on my wife's Gas Gas 125 when I did.  On to possible help...

If the stack is in speck then the next question in my mind is, what oil are you using? 

Info for reference; thinner gearbox oil will make for faster engagement of the clutch in most cases, there are very high end oils that are thin and can work great but it can be hard to find the one that works best without experimentation.  Maxima makes some good gear oil you can get in different viscosity levels, I would consider the thicker option (I want to say 80w 90?) and see how well that works first.  Can really make a difference in slowing the engagement. 

Something else that can help is to shift the clutch lever just a bit inward, this can get your finger out a touch on the lever and will make the movement at the pivot end smaller for the same amount of movement at the finger. 

Give some of that a try maybe and see if it helps, really helped my wife and daughter when I did both of them to there bikes so might help you as well?

Thanks very much what do you meen with this? Something else that can help is to shift the clutch lever just a bit inward, this can get your finger out a touch on the lever and will make the movement at the pivot end smaller for the same amount of movement at the Finger 

Spoiler

On 4/27/2022 at 1:21 AM, Felix_Frenademez said:

Thanks very much what do you meen with this? Something else that can help is to shift the clutch lever just a bit inward, this can get your finger out a touch on the lever and will make the movement at the pivot end smaller for the same amount of movement at the Finger 

Reveal hidden contents

If you slide the entire clutch assembly away from the grip just a touch it puts your finger(s) farther out on the lever.  After doing this you would re-adjust the lever position so your pull and clutch engagement feels the same as when your finger was at its original position.  This will cause your finger to be out more on the lever and lessen the amount of total movement at the pivot point.  When you slow/lessen the amount of movement it will slow the engagement and lessen the on/off (light switch fast) clutch engagement. 

Hope that makes more sense.  If not I am not sure without an image or video or something to help with what I am talking about. 

Edit: Another way to say what I am talking about that might help if that dose not...
If you think about the clutch lever as part of a right angle triangle and the bar as the second side the point your finger is would be the 3rd side.  If you change the length of the 3rd side by moving your finger in or out, say 2 mm, the the total amount of movement at the half way point, lets call that the point the pivot pushes in the clutch piston, would be a fixed amount.  Now lengthen the first and second sides by moving your finger, the 3rd side, farther away from the pivot point by say 10mm and move it the same 2mm.  Now when you check the movement at the point where the clutch piston is at you find the total amount of movement would be less than when the finger was closer in on the lever.  This allows for more precise movement and would let you slow the engagement down to a more controllable level. 

Maybe a little to verbose, but in case the other is not clear maybe that will help?

Edited by jonnyc21
More context.