Tech Specs - How is the motor controlled?

mcman56

Are there any technical specs on how the EM motor is controlled?  Is the throttle just and adjustable resistor?  Does that just go to some kind of standard industrial motor controller with programmable parameters?  Or is there some type of computer in there as well like similar to a fly by wire gas powered street bike?

The throttle is electronic. It is connected by electrical wiring. Nice that you don't have a cable to lubricate, or that can get into a bind. As far as the controller, I can't say. No indication that the user can reprogram. Just pick from the various maps built in from the factory.

The controller is a fairly standard item, made by Silixcon. If you look at their website there are various downloads related to programming it. You'll have to be a bit of a whizz on brushless motors and controllers though, if you hope to understand it. I would love to be able to change a few things, but after reading all the bumph I've given up.

Just choosing one model on that web site is shows "4x galvanically isolated analog inputs (range from 0V to 10V)"  .  I'm guessing it means that a voltage is sent from the throttle.  I have a friend whose throttle hand twitches like someone who has Parkinson's.  Somehow he manages to ride a trials bike and has just ordered one of the EM bikes.  It seems to me that an electronic signal could be averaged over time to filter out his twitch.  This would certainly help him.  Has anyone tried anything like that?  The goal is just to be able to continue to ride.   

• 5 weeks later...

i wonder if they locked the controller, Im sure just changing a few parameters wouldn't be difficult (as long as you have some experience with configuring BLDC motor/controllers). I'd like to crank up the phase amps and the max regen amps (i want my prbr to lock the wheel when fully engaged, wft).

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/4/2022 at 3:02 PM, mcman56 said:

I have a friend whose throttle hand twitches like someone who has Parkinson's.  Somehow he manages to ride a trials bike and has just ordered one of the EM bikes.  It seems to me that an electronic signal could be averaged over time to filter out his twitch.  This would certainly help him.  Has anyone tried anything like that?  The goal is just to be able to continue to ride.   

You could experiment with putting an RC low pass filter (resistor-capacitor) in line with the output of the throttle.  The throttle is a simple potentiometer.  A 1k ohm resister in series with the output, or tap of the throttle, followed by a 33 micro-farad capacitor tied to the negative side of the power that goes to the throttle, really softened the throttle response for me, for both opening and closing the throttle.  I will be experimenting with a smaller resistor, say 680 ohms, and a larger cap, as the controller does present some load to the circuit, and adding the resistor will pull down the max throttle level a little bit - not that I ever need max throttle on that beast!  The power to the throttle is 5v, and I've been using 16v polarized tantalum capacitors.  If you use these, be sure to get the polarity correct or they will fail.  This mod will likely void the warrantee, so proceed at your own risk.  Hope this helps!  Now, if I could only figure out how to implement an artificial flywheel, or motor based traction control - even with the flywheel weight on the Race model, the motor spins up and down like lightening, which has plagued me in loose rock.

On 7/1/2022 at 10:28 AM, RogueGeek said:

You could experiment with putting an RC low pass filter (resistor-capacitor) in line with the output of the throttle.  The throttle is a simple potentiometer.  A 1k ohm resister in series with the output, or tap of the throttle, followed by a 33 micro-farad capacitor tied to the negative side of the power that goes to the throttle, really softened the throttle response for me, for both opening and closing the throttle.  I will be experimenting with a smaller resistor, say 680 ohms, and a larger cap, as the controller does present some load to the circuit, and adding the resistor will pull down the max throttle level a little bit - not that I ever need max throttle on that beast!  The power to the throttle is 5v, and I've been using 16v polarized tantalum capacitors.  If you use these, be sure to get the polarity correct or they will fail.  This mod will likely void the warrantee, so proceed at your own risk.  Hope this helps!  Now, if I could only figure out how to implement an artificial flywheel, or motor based traction control - even with the flywheel weight on the Race model, the motor spins up and down like lightening, which has plagued me in loose rock.

Very interesting.  I'm not very electronically literate but looked up some detail on this and it is frequency dependent.  Does that mean is softens the response because it does not immediately react to throttle movement and wants to see it set at some position for a time period before reacting?  For example, I'll guess that the twitch is 240 cycles/ second.  Could resistor- capacitor sizes be calculated that would filter it out?  My buddy should get his bike soon.  Is that how noise filters on sound systems work?       

Edited by mcman56
add detail

On 7/2/2022 at 10:41 AM, mcman56 said:

Does that mean is softens the response because it does not immediately react to throttle movement and wants to see it set at some position for a time period before reacting?   Is that how noise filters on sound systems work?      

In general you are correct.  An RC filter will delay the throttle input by the time constant determined by the RC filter.  It will also soften, or make more gradual, the given throttle input.  An instant change from say 1 volt to 2 volts on the throttle, will take 5 RC time constants to be fully realized on output of the filter.  It's also behaves the same for when you close the throttle.  Google around on how RC filters work and you will find a ton of info. 

On 7/2/2022 at 10:41 AM, mcman56 said:

I'll guess that the twitch is 240 cycles/ second.  Could resistor- capacitor sizes be calculated that would filter it out?  My buddy should get his bike soon.  Is that how noise filters on sound systems work?       

Yes, a filter could be designed for 240 hertz.  However, that seems very fast for a twitch, and would have a period of only about 2.2 milliseconds.   Really, when your buddy gets the bike, I'd recommend that he ride the bike a lot using the green map, which is very smooth and gentle, and his twitch may not cause any problems.