100% newbie

Johnnygunn

Good day all! New to the page and new to trials. I have kept up with it and watched, along with many forms of two wheeled racing, since I was about 10, as I am a total motorcycle enthusiasts! However I know nothing about bike selection, settings, what to look for, certain techniques, etc. So, I'm looking for some helpful direction.

Some of my background: 32, 210lb, 6'3", have ridden offroad (US gncc/enduro) and motocross for 23 years. I have owned and ridden 250 and 300cc two strokes, as well as 450s and now a 350cc four stroke. I am by no means a pro or A level, but I am confident and competent enough to handle all obstacles (in my way 🎵)  locally and get my money back in the B class here and there. 

But, as I've read, trials is no comparison! I recently rode a 125 and 300 trials bike (trs) that a national pro was kind enough to let me take for a spin, although just around his yard. The 125, I'm out.. lol but the 300 felt very controllable and even more fun. Everything I read says a 300 is too much and bad news for a beginner trials rider. However, the professional told me I should get a 300, and as long as I focus on technique it won't be too much for me. Should I go 300? I read fantastic things about the 250 motor. Should I go 250? Analysis paralysis... 

All info is welcome! Thanks 💪🏼

At your size and relative bike ability i would totally rule out a 125. The 250 will be much closer to a 300 than a 125. I doubt you would get on a 250 and complain it hasn't enough power but if you've had a go on a 300 and it felt ok then go for it

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Glayne said:

...And don't rule out the 280! I liked my 250, it was smoother than my 280, and I like my neighbors 300. I can certainly feel the extra 20cc from the 280 to the 300.

Thanks for the input! I was told that the 280s are being phased out and parts will be difficult to come by soon. Again, I have no idea how true that is being I have so little experience with trials. 

Unless you're sticking with the TRS that you've tried then it's important to know that not all 300s are the same, for example there's a massive difference between a Beta and a GasGas.

If you're buying used then serviceable condition matters more than 300 Vs 250.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, totty79 said:

Unless you're sticking with the TRS that you've tried then it's important to know that not all 300s are the same, for example there's a massive difference between a Beta and a GasGas.

If you're buying used then serviceable condition matters more than 300 Vs 250.

Thanks for the words. I've read about some bikes, like the current gas gas, being far more aggressive than others. I haven't found an all inclusive article yet.. seems to be all individual tests and no shoot out like tests. I'd like a 300 that's more manageable, in a perfect world. 

Edited by Johnnygunn

I weigh 145 lbs. 63 years old. Rode all types of dirt bikes from age 6,  All trail riding off road.  I have a Scorpa 300, 2020. Older beta techno 250.  mint condition  For me, using a slow throttle tube was a big help. very much so on the scorpa 300.     The 300 is easy to ride, better suspension, lighter front end.  this is riding where there are deer trails, ridge tops,  ect-ect.  i have adjusted the clutch lever to be comfortable with pointer finger on the lever as i ride.  use it to smooth out the engines power when required.

• Thanks 1

What are you intending to do on the bike? Ride trails, blast up hills and the odd piece of technical riding to boost your enduro skills? If thats the case the 300 will be no problem for you.

But if you intend to rider proper trials, slow speed and tight technical sections, your skill level will dictate that not only could a 300 not be as easy to control as a 250, you won't be good enough (yet) to take advantage of its more power. Theres good trials riders out there riding 250s and in no rush for 300s. 300s are really just reserved for experts. They are nice to bop about on, but in a section they just aren't as nice as a smooth 250.

That being said, dont sweat the decision too much, neither will be majorly wrong and only you know what you really want from the bike. You'll find that out after a couple of months

Edited by faussy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, faussy said:

What are you intending to do on the bike? Ride trails, blast up hills and the odd piece of technical riding to boost your enduro skills? If thats the case the 300 will be no problem for you.

But if you intend to rider proper trials, slow speed and tight technical sections, your skill level will dictate that not only could a 300 not be as easy to control as a 250, you won't be good enough (yet) to take advantage of its more power. Theres good trials riders out there riding 250s and in no rush for 300s. 300s are really just reserved for experts. They are nice to bop about on, but in a section they just aren't as nice as a smooth 250.

That being said, dont sweat the decision too much, neither will be majorly wrong and only you know what you really want from the bike. You'll find that out after a couple of months

I appreciate the reply! I plan to do a fair bit of everything and anything I can get ahold of.

I have about 60 acres of farmland with ditches, down trees, some hills, and neighboring land with massive hills and cliffs. I plan to make a small obstacle course of some kind that gets harder as I progress, but realistically spend most of my time on natural terrain. 

• Like 1

Between your size and skill I wouldn't sweet it to much as already has been indicated.  I am 5' 10" and around 205 (was around 175 when I started trials) and found the 250 (07 Montesa 205 4RT) to be the better pure trials bike and really didn't need more but eventually got a 2017 Montesa 4RT 300 RR and love it with my bit of extra size and riding style.  With that I can say I would have been fine on the 300 right from the start but am glad I did start on the 250 myself. 

Just another perspective to consider. 

Hope you love it as much as I do and good luck finding a bike!

• Thanks 1

I’d say go 300 if it feels fine. Had lots of people say not to get a 300 enduro back when I was looking at 250 vs 300. Glad I got the 300. I got a 300 beta recently and the power doesn’t seem uncontrollable at all 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Onzalimey said:

I’d say go 300 if it feels fine. Had lots of people say not to get a 300 enduro back when I was looking at 250 vs 300. Glad I got the 300. I got a 300 beta recently and the power doesn’t seem uncontrollable at all 

I agree to the enduro bike debate. I had a 300 sherco factory 2s and it was so pleasant and easy to ride (motor was total **** on an mx track, but perfect for offroad). Never once did I feel like it excessively wore me out or got me into trouble. However, I'm not educated on trials motors! Lol