Txt 250, drive shaft bearing different type?

garydwall

Hello , can someone please advise.

Is it OK to replace the driveshaft bearing with a version with non metallic seals.

Original bearing is a 6005zv.

The version I bought is a skf 60052rsc3.

The noticeable difference is the original has metal seals where my new one has rubber seals.

Is it OK if I use this one and would it be a good idea to remove the rubber seal on the internal side to allow extra lubrication from the gearbox oil?

Thanks in advance Gary 

20220523_110505.thumb.jpg.a933290dffddf45affa980d8520f2c3e.jpg

Hey garydhall.

I found this video; thought it might help with your recent efforts. With full credit to Jim Snell: 

Regarding your question about using a bearing with a "rubber" sides vs metal sides, I wouldn't think it would be an issue. I don't believe the bearing environment would become so hot that the rubber might be compromised, or that heat transfer is an issue. I would not remove the covers however; perhaps the tranny oil would tend to "wash away" the bearing grease if the covers were not present. I don't know if the bearings expect to be lubricated by the tranny oil. So, in my opinion, I'd use the bearing as-is. Note, I'm only a do-it-yourself garage mechanic, so, as they say, "your mileage my vary". :)

• Thanks 1

Hmmm garydwall ... I took a better look at the picture you took of the bearing; is that "metal seal" only partially covering the inner/ball cage? If so perhaps your idea to remove the inboard (i.e. tranny output shaft side) rubber seal is a very good one as the original bearing design kinda implies that the bearing is to be lubricated by the tranny oil.

Like I said, I'm not a professional mech, but I do enjoy learning.

3 minutes ago, garydwall said:

Thank you very much d2w your advice is much appreciated 

But like my dad said: "At its worst, free advice is worth what you paid. Nothing!". :)

• Haha 1