Bantam Front Forks - Help with I.D. make/model

Elliot1954

Hi, I've got a Bantam with replacement front forks/yokes - one of the top oil seals is knackered and I'm trying to identify the make of forks, does anyone know the make or where I can source a replacement seal. See attached photos.

Thanks Elliot

P1030473 Resize.JPG

P1030474 resize.JPG

P1030475 resize.JPG

P1030471 resize.JPG

P1030472 Resize.JPG

Hi, thanks for the advice. Doing a quick measurement, with the forks still in place, the diameters seem to be 35 and 47/48, which seems to be on the oil seals they sell - cheers..

Any idea on the make of forks, the seller said 'Tricky' I think - but can't find anything on the web about them.

Hi - Thanks for the various comments and suggestions. Here with a couple more photos that may help.

I assume with the leg removed from the yoke, it is a case of carefully removing the duff seal and then (with a clean leg and lots of lube) sliding the new seal into place and replacing the securing slip.

Thanks

751509334_P1030478resize.thumb.JPG.4e900855dee107732d388e54aa12b3b9.JPG

476  Resize.JPG

P1030477 resize.JPG

P1030478 resize.JPG

You appear to have AJS or Matchless lower fork legs with more modern fork internals with a made up distance piece to fix them together. This is how they are normally made up irrespective of which forks are adapted.

Your best option is dismantle the forks remove the oil seals and measure both seals and the space they fit in to get the best replacements.

35x47x6-10mm seals are standard and can be found in many options. If they are thinner, don´t worry. It is easy to put a 35x47x7 seal in a space for 35x47x10. If you like, you can machine a spacer, but in many cases this is unnecessary. Be carefull not to scratch or damage the seals when assembling the forks. Grease/oil and some tape might be your best friend. Use a scraper ring above the seal.

Magic - thanks again for the input. The top of the seal looked a mess, it actually cleaned up and has stayed 'dry' there was a lot of mud and crap - plus the retaining clip was a bent piece of rusty wire, have replaced with a piston ring.

Will get 2 x ordered and replace it in the near future.

Cheers