2020+ Gasgas 300??? HELP

Johnnygunn

Analysis paralysis..

I've read so much the past few weeks, my mind is numb. Does anyone have real world experience with gasgas trials bikes, as in owning multiple model years and especially the current generation bike? I've read they are the most reliable tank of a bike, I've read they're build quality is garbage, and everything in between..

I am brand new to the community. I am currently making the switch from 450/350 4s and 300 2s mx/enduro bikes. I see a handful of 2020+ txt 300s (super low hours, all under 15) for sale somewhat locally and I am really considering one of them. I like their look and the fact they are supported by ktm nowadays. However, some things I've read about their mechanical issues worry me. Sherco seems to be my second most available choice locally and tied for first in the looks department in my opinion (gasgas and sherco being my 2 top picks). I rode with a local pro recently and he suggested I get a 300 for my mx/enduro ability and my size (6'3" 205lb).

Gasgas? Sherco? Neither? Any real world experience is appreciated. Thank you. 

I haven't ridden a 2020 gas gas 300 but I've ridden 17, 19 and several earlier. They were all on the very lively/aggressive side of trials bikes, but I've tried two with a low comp head that had a really nice tourqey engine character so they can be tamed fairly cheaply if you feel the need.

I have ridden two 300 Sherco one was around a 2020 and I really liked them. Felt like a gas gas chassis with nicer engine character.

I ride a beta 250 so have no horse in this race.

For what it's worth the 300 owners who I stayed in touch with both changed bikes to 260 montessas which I also didn't like highlighting a lot of this is personal preference.

Reliability wise anecdotally it's Montesa, beta, gas gas, sherco but who knows if that's fair and they are all usable.

Edited by totty79
  • Thanks 1

Ive had five 300 ggs since 2010 and never had any problems bar general maintenance, but i know others who have had issues. The montesas are the most reliable. After that i think all the 2 strokes are a much of a muchness when it comes to reliability. They all have their flaws. 

• Thanks 1

I had a 2020 GG TXT300 as my first trials bike coming from MX/ Enduro and was very happy with it. I would say you definitely need stiffer springs put in as soon as you get it. Don't concern yourself with motor characteristics yet because you will mostly be idling around. I had a coil go bad and the rear susp. linkage got slop in it really quickly, but no other issues.

• Thanks 1