CDI Unit problems

johnsandywhite

2021 Gas Gas 125 Racing CDI Problems.

Does anyone know how to overcome the CDI failing?

We have had 3 CDI's fail. What happens is it runs perfectly for quite some time on a new CDI then starts oiling up the plugs.

After several Plug changes and failing in the sections due to the motor bogging down, the only cure is to fit ANOTHER £180 CDI.

The last one was completely encased in Tape and sealer to stop any damp getting into cracks which eventually happens with a new CDI. It failed too.

Is it possible the rectifier is producing the wrong current and causing the components in the CDI's to fail?

It's costing Championship points and positions apart from the Bank balance disappearing fast.

Any help or solution would be gratefully received.

12 minutes ago, faussy said:

I heard that GG were standing over them as they know its an issue. Failing that fit a trs one, have heard others having success with this

I've heard the TRS ones work too but the mapping may be different.

John Shirt changed the first one under guarantee, but refused any further replacements for free.

Edited by johnsandywhite

It seems to be a problem thats mainly limited to the 125s. I doubt its a water ingress problem, the amount of failures that are out there indicates an inherent flaw in one of the components. Maybe you could get a lend of a TRS one to see how it runs with one fitted. Otherwise its a risk

Edited by faussy
  • Like 1

You’d expect if it was a batch of bad CDI’s there’d be some form of communication for this to the importers and all replacement CDI’s should be fit for use. But to have three fail seems more than bad luck. I would be checking that the bike has a good earth and that all other electrical connections are clean and well secured. After this you could then check the output current and voltage of the regulator with a meter to ensure that this is providing the expected.

Another thing to check would be that the CDI isn’t being exposed to excess heat from the engine as this could effect the CDI. Understand it’s limited for where it can be located but some form of heat reflective tape could help.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, jamo_duval said:

You’d expect if it was a batch of bad CDI’s there’d be some form of communication for this to the importers and all replacement CDI’s should be fit for use. But to have three fail seems more than bad luck. I would be checking that the bike has a good earth and that all other electrical connections are clean and well secured. After this you could then check the output current and voltage of the regulator with a meter to ensure that this is providing the expected.

Another thing to check would be that the CDI isn’t being exposed to excess heat from the engine as this could effect the CDI. Understand it’s limited for where it can be located but some form of heat reflective tape could help.

We are thinking it could be the Rectifier not provided the correct voltage and burning out the CDI Circuit components.