Changing clutch plates on 4RT

Cookiemonster

Hi all

took the plunge & bought the apico dimpled clutch plates which I plan to fit next week sometime 

looking through the manual & at some previous topics & it looks as simple as remove the cover then the 6 bolts & springs remove existing plates

oil up new plates & replace in correct order put bolts back in at 12 Nm cover on bleed if necessary

I don’t need the clutch holding tool shown in the manual do I? Or is there a nut holding the clutch centre on?

did this mod on a 315 about 15 years ago & don’t recall needing this tool, different bike obviously though & a long time ago!

thanks in advance 

I wouldn't expect to need any different tools for the 4RT over a 315.  At the office at the moment so will be a few before I can review the manual and confirm in case you want a double check.

Ya double checking everything in the manual, and reviewing my last disassembly in my head at the same time, the holding tool would only be needed if your pulling the basket off.  If your just doing the plates you will be fine without it. 

Edited by jonnyc21

You do need to hold the clutch somehow. I bought a holding tool from eBay for just a few quid. The centre nut does have to come off to change the plates. For what it's worth I would replace the friction plates at the same time so that you get the full benefit of a fresh clutch.

Take care to align the dots as per the manual on reassembly otherwise the clutch will not work...

Cheers

Reg

Because it was just the pressure plate bolts I was able to just lave the bike in gear and get all 6 off to change out mine, didn't need to hold the basket... Yes I know it isn't the recommended way to to do it but at least for me it worked fine. 

Edited by jonnyc21

• 6 months later...

On 1/28/2023 at 7:06 PM, mil said:

@Cookiemonster did you successfully get this clutch change done? I have just bought dimpled plates but not tried fitting them yet and was looking forum for advice on this. Keen to hear how it went and if you noticed difference with the new plates.

Cheers

Mil

Yes fitted the full apico kit but had it done by inch perfect with some other jobs

Clutch now starts to disengages about mid way on the lever range rather than at the end