Lobito 175 one spark only

jofritz

I'm new with my Bultaco Lobito (bought as a Sherpa but that's another story!) So far I haven't been able to find much information on the bike... and if I could it would be in Spanish, which isn't very helpful. What bike is the Lobito anyway? I read that it was intended for youngsters who are too big for small bikes, but even that basic information was hard to find...it doesn't really look or feel "small"...any clues are helpful.

Now the story... after cleaning my lovely AMAL I thought I should check the spark, that was easy as there was none. After taking the side cover off and sanding the points for some time (not that easy to come by) I gave it a try and had a spark and really loved it. But it was just one spark, certainly not enough to win a race...I would like to remove the flywheel to get better access to the points but not sure if that is safe. I would like to know first of all, do I even have to think about it because it fits only one way back on (the correct way)???

Is there anything you would check first? Typical Bultaco or Lobito topics to be checked. It just seems strange to have only one spark...

So thanks guys for all the replies... Joachim

my trials bikes by the way are GASGAS 2010, Montesa 349 (think 1982), Bultaco Sherpa T 1978, Bultaco Lobito MK3 1970, BSA C15 1957, Beta Minitrial for the Kids and Project Bike BSA Victor Special

Yes there is a key on the crankshaft to make sure it goes back in the right place.

I don't know what you mean by it having only one spark. It should only spark once per rotation.

Yes it's normal to service the points with the flywheel off. The access holes in the flywheel are for the final step when you set the timing.

Is it the Mk3 Lobito in your bike list you are referring to?

Photos of bike/frame number/engine number of your Lobito may help your quest for information.

Edited by feetupfun
  • Like 2

thanks first of all...one spark, and that 's it... no matter how many rotations will follow, there was only one spark... that is why I'd like to take off the flywheel to have a closer look and clean well, see the connections ...

The bike is in good shape though... pictures will follow

• Like 1

If you are planning to keep the bike......Buy a reputable electronic ignition and get rid of all sorts of strange problems.  Well worth the money. I am at my 4th year with Electrex now. Only had one loose connection last year. Easy to fix.

Instant starting, good running. Before, with breakers, was always problems. Most often,  suddenly, didn´t start. Albeit when running it was quite good. In the end I get angry 😒and bought a new ignition. Few days later.......no problem at all

so I learned a bit about the Lobito... but does anybody can tell a bit more about the Lobito... seems your are not so often come across one of those... the others seem to be much more common.

And anybody having any ideas about the "one spark only symptomatic"???

2 hours ago, jofritz said:

so I learned a bit about the Lobito... but does anybody can tell a bit more about the Lobito... seems your are not so often come across one of those... the others seem to be much more common.

And anybody having any ideas about the "one spark only symptomatic"???

Change the condensor, points and plug and try again .

Checked it as a Lobito 125 MK3 1970-1972 starting at 62.000.001

so 1443 should be still 1970 as it is a rather low one... well not so many built, but beeing 1970 myself, I like the thought of it...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jofritz said:

Checked it as a Lobito 125 MK3 1970-1972 starting at 62.000.001

so 1443 should be still 1970 as it is a rather low one... well not so many built, but beeing 1970 myself, I like the thought of it...

Well the right hand side engine casing is from a Mk3 Lobito. A proper ID of the bike (and the motor) needs decent photos of the bike and the motor

On 7/10/2022 at 9:30 PM, b40rt said:

Change the condensor, points and plug and try again .

could I use any bultaco points and condensors or just a certain kind ... eg... all Alpina or all Sherpa, or all 5 speed, all 125cc ...

Any ideas welcome...

4 hours ago, jofritz said:

could I use any bultaco points and condensors or just a certain kind ... eg... all Alpina or all Sherpa, or all 5 speed, all 125cc ...

Any ideas welcome...

Check the part number for points as I wouldn't be surprised if several models used the same ones. Move the condensor and mount it by the coil (I use vw ones) 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, b40rt said:

Check the part number for points as I wouldn't be surprised if several models used the same ones. Move the condensor and mount it by the coil (I use vw ones) 

so, for the condenser it won't make any difference... VW ?Volkswagen? but needs to be 6V, right? (It is quite some time ago when I last had a deep dive into restoring... most questions even seem dumm to me:-))