Beta trial wont start

Jimmy124

Trialman is most likely correct. It's common for bikes to shear the woodruff key if the engine has a sudden stop. Especially if the flywheel nut isn't properly tightened as the flywheel is an interference fit to the crankshaft. The woodruff key is just for alignment. It is possible to have a bad stator as well and still have spark. What usually goes out of these older stators is the trigger coil that tells the CDI where to fire. If the trigger signal is weak the CDI could be firing in the wrong location so you have spark but in the wrong part of the cycle.

4 hours ago, dan williams said:

Trialman is most likely correct. It's common for bikes to shear the woodruff key if the engine has a sudden stop. Especially if the flywheel nut isn't properly tightened as the flywheel is an interference fit to the crankshaft. The woodruff key is just for alignment. It is possible to have a bad stator as well and still have spark. What usually goes out of these older stators is the trigger coil that tells the CDI where to fire. If the trigger signal is weak the CDI could be firing in the wrong location so you have spark but in the wrong part of the cycle.

thanks, I need all help I can got.

do you know how many ”Ohm ” the stator is? If i can use a multimeter. 
And where I can buy a stator.

thanks! 

If it comes down to the stator, the ref 3 was noted for stator failing,  then West country windings do an exchange for reconditioned one. 

How strong is your spark, is petrol definitely get to the carb, i.e no blockage in tank? Strong blue spark could be timing out due to Woodford key/flywheel loose

The plug can test good with a fat spark but break down internally under further load and thermal variance.  Just has a brand new NGK do this after three hours.  Finally ran after many kicks but spluttered to a stop after a minute.  Sounded as if the timing was badly retarded when it did run briefly & I was convinced that was the problem after I eliminated the usual carb issues on a brand new bike.  Another new plug fixed it at the dealer!

Edited by ascended_master

• 1 month later...
On 7/15/2022 at 7:12 PM, Jimmy124 said:

Hello.

my beta 270 rev 3 2005 wont start.

new ignition coil and start plug.

new piston and cylinder.

I have spark on the plug. It wont start, why? Can someone help me 🙏

can it be the stator?

Did you find the cause of this?mines doing the same and I suspect the mikuni carb.