260 4RT starting issue

Tonkka

Hi,

I just buy mint conditions 120 hours used Montesa 260 RT 2014.

Bike working like new and when engine is cold it´s starts very easily, but after 30 minutes driving when engine is hot starting is nightmare.

If i give little fuel straigth to throttle body engine start but running only few seconds. Then after 15-25 minutes waiting engine start and running like new.

I already adjust idle speed to around 1850rpm, also i check throttle cable freeplay, then i reset ecu many times but nothing help:(

Would someone help what I need  to do next?

if you have already update the idle to ~1800, then I would check valve clearance as that would be my first thought.  I will start with that and see if that sorts it out.  My 2 cents at least.

Other simple things to consider: (good to do anyway)

Always worth doing some standard maintenance like flush and replace the coolant to be sure heat isn't causing some of the issues, not common but have had a friend boiling his fuel and fresh fluid sorted it for him. 

Double check the fuel pump filter isn't gummed up (not likely the primary issue, but combined with heat maybe a contributor?)

Edited by jonnyc21

Before you waste a lot if time and energy. Open up the air screw a full turn counter clockwise  Let idle for a full minute and go ride it for at least 20 minutes and see how it feels. Its almost always low idle is the problem.

As mentioned, a new plug and make sure your tank is venting properly.

Edited by lineaway

Plan is check valve clearance also but that is not readon for that poor start because with extra fuel engine start.

I think that fuel pump not make pressure or injector not open when engine is hot. maybe part of reason is very hot fuel…

• Like 1

How tall are you? I am 5'4" and can cold start my 4RT very easily but when it is hot I need to stand on the pegs and give a firm kick. When it's cold, just a lazy push down on the lever but when hot, lean bars against a tree, stand on the pegs and give a forceful kick but not fast.

3 hours ago, sectionone said:

How tall are you? I am 5'4" and can cold start my 4RT very easily but when it is hot I need to stand on the pegs and give a firm kick. When it's cold, just a lazy push down on the lever but when hot, lean bars against a tree, stand on the pegs and give a forceful kick but not fast.

I am 178cm tall and 85kg so that is not reason, I can easily start my friend Montesa when engine is hot but he not can  mine.