199b clutch

Ninja

Hi all just returning a heavily modified 199b back to original and seem to have a clutch problem, first off the clutch arm has been extended (more throw, lighter action maybe) and also with both balls and rod in position to set up centre adjuster I  screw in to just touch top hat and back out 1/4 turn, but it only leaves about 3 threads on centre pin, not good, I'm  thinking the rod is too short maybe, I would like to see some threads above nut face at least, any measurements would be helpful, clutch is operating OK, or maybe a problem at the lever side🤔

Cheers. 

Might be the rod is to short, I can measure the reserve rod (original!) to my 199b up.

Then the ball on the lever end might be worn a bit too and the ball that is fitted to the clutch basket side might be of wrong diameter?

Last not least is the right mushroom bearing mounted?

How the adjusted clutch look of my 199b and too in full working order:

DSC08012.JPG

Edited by pschrauber
spelling issues as usual

So I made the measurements

The rod is exactly 190mm in length and exactly 5.5mm in diameter. 

The pushrod is 40mm in length, 

The mushroom bearing is 3mm in thickness and the edged washer 1.5mm.

The balls are 5,0 to 5,5mm in diameter, there are two one between the pushrod and the rod and a second mounted to the clutch lever in the sidecases. 

See in the photo.IMG_20220723_154713_edit_472348266815943.thumb.jpg.f7f5105cabab7df5439dee71aeffea41.jpg

• Like 4

Has it got the original steel plates or a fibre clutch. Fibre clutch will make the clutch pack thicker and put more space between the adjuster and mushroom meaning the adjuster has to be screwed in further

• Like 4

Hi all thanks for the comments, when I  bought this bike it was modified quite a bit, so trying to put things right, the clutch basket nut was loose, all parts are there 2 balls, rod, mushroom, bearing not sure if there was a 'washer' in there, if not where does it belong, was thinking of a fibre clutch, obviously less plates but thicker I'm assuming. 

Should only be one ball and the fibre clutches as so much better in operation. Not sure what the thickness ends up being as you use less plates in total, but similar to the original. Surflex comes as a kit with new steels and springs

• Like 2

• 10 months later...