2012 TR280 stuck in 1rst gear

stou

Yesterday I was riding at a local trial event and bike was running fine. And then I was unable to shift in second or neutral, it was stuck in 1rst gear. I didn't drop the bike or crash it on that day.

This morning I removed the transmission and I can't see what's wrong. I tried to change the shifter spring adjustment position with no luck. Unlike yesterday, now with the trans out, I can move between 1rst gear and neutral. But can't go up in 2nd gear.

Any idea of what can be the problem? I seached on the internet but didn't found anything similar.

trans.thumb.jpg.22b9a86bab093c3957db336b5072461a.jpg

Yes the wheel can rotate. But with nothing to compare, I can't tell if there's some worn on that wheel. Just to do some test, I installed the drum at the 4th or 5th gear where it is less worned on the drum and I can changed gear at this place. It is not smooth, but it work.

Edited by stou

1 hour ago, happycyd said:

Looks like the case hardening has broken down - therefore worn and makes changing gear difficult - replace selector drum ?

That's what I think  too. Yesterday I looked all over to tried to find that part. Can't find it.

on the lower photo you can see a fragment of metal at 4 O'clock, It only needs something of this size in somewhere like a bearing to jam it solid. Perhaps there are more fragemts in the shift drum bearings. rinse it out with two stroke mix over a clean container and look for more fragments falling out. try to rotate drum bearings whilst rinsing.

• 2 months later...

Hello stou

Might be unrelated, but I was warned not to tighten a bolt in the crank case of my Jotagas JT300 too tight because it then extends too far and interferes with the selector. There is a tech page that even says don't use this particular bolt to drain the oil.

Had you dumped the oil and refilled lately, then replaced the filler plug a bit tight or missing a washer, eg?

• 2 months later...