S3 low compression insert for 2020 280

joekarter

10 hours ago, joekarter said:

Just for smoothing out the bottom.  Many of our trials and my practice spot are found river rock.  Anything that helps smooth out the power pulses is a good thing.

Guess a head insert or flywheel weight may help, of the two I would choose a bit of flywheel weight? I just wouldn't want to lose its snappy power when you need it. I agree with fourex, the map switch can certainly help dull but I find most of the dull to be in the high RPM's. I find the clutch slip to be the best for smoothening the power pulses.

13 hours ago, fourex said:

What about a flywheel weight, I think this one is good for your 2020, says >2013.

I put one on my '14 300, made a difference to my liking, additionally I use the map switch to dull things down more when things get extra slippery.

https://www.thehellteam.com/flywheel-weight-kit-hidria-s3-gas-gas-2013-ext-fix.html

I've got one installed and changed the gearing.  Very much nicer than stock and far easier to ride. 

9 hours ago, Glayne said:

Guess a head insert or flywheel weight may help, of the two I would choose a bit of flywheel weight? I just wouldn't want to lose its snappy power when you need it. I agree with fourex, the map switch can certainly help dull but I find most of the dull to be in the high RPM's. I find the clutch slip to be the best for smoothening the power pulses.

That's what I've noticed with the map switch as well.  Something to keep in mind on long climbs.  So far I like the extra bit of rev that it has over my Beta so that a turn in the middle of a slippery uphill isn't quite as dramatic.

• 3 weeks later...

I have 2014 280 raga with flywheel weight. Few things I have noticed that made a difference for me:

1. The throttle is smoother
  2. Does not stall as easy as it used to stall
  3. Carries more momentum
  4. Starts easier

As you said for "Just for smoothing out the bottom" - flywheel weight does exactly this. The biggest downside, is that it keeps the revs up for a bit and I was gaining speed with "second throttle", when I didn't need it. Not a big thing, but with more tech stuff I tend to forget it and mess up from time to time.