Time for a rebuild

vintagenut

Hello All -

Well... the time has finally come for a complete engine overhaul.  I've been enjoying faultless performance from my 199a for over ten years, with only some minor top end work when she was first purchased.  Following a recent timing check and adjustment though, I noticed some up and down play in my main bearings.  Not a problem (motivation-permitting)... but, before I begin tear things down, I thought I'd look for a quality replacement con rod kit to have my crank serviced while I'm at it.

Any recommendations for the best quality replacement con rod rebuild kit for a 350 199a currently available?  My nearest and most favorite OEM supplier here in the US has retired so I'm now exploring aftermarket options.  I love the folks at In Motion and have also successfully ordered parts through France Trial Classic.  Is the In Motion kit a good option?  

Thank you in advance for your input.  Greatly appreciated!

C.

Edited by vintagenut

Thank you, Feetupfun and Bullylover

I haven't found at this time any other replacement rod manufacturers.  I'd only sought OEM parts in the past but those are becoming more and more difficult to locate as time goes on.  I have an Italkit in my Fantic, I believe, and it seemed to be of good quality.  If that's what Bultaco Classics (as well as In Motion et al) offers, then that's the way I'll go.  Haven't checked shipping from the UK of late but I suspect prices have not come down since last I looked.

Again - thank you for your input.  Can't wait to get her all done for (hopefully) several more years of great performance before the next big teardown!

Cheers -

C.

Edited by vintagenut
  • Like 2

Thank you, Model 80!

Lynn and Dorothy were hugely helpful in keeping my Pursangs going in the late 90s, and later, helped me with my Sherpas as well.  Truly wonderful folks!  

I'll give Ralph a try to see what he might have available.  Otherwise, there do appear to be options out there.  Interestingly, when visiting Bultaco Classics, In Motion and France Trials Classics, the rod kits photographed appear to vary slightly... and none resembled the Italkit rods I expected to see.  Only Feked Classic featured photos of actual Italkit rod kits.  Maybe the catalog photos on the other sites mentioned don't actually represent the rod kits one would receive upon ordering?  Who knows!

Again - thank you kindly for Ralph's contacty info.  Greatly appreciated!

C.

l

I’ve purchased and installed the rod kit available from Hugh’s in New York.  It’s worked flawlessly and I do recommend them. They’re not italkit.  They come in a box with no manufacture label, but if I was to guess, I’m going to say that they’re hot rods.  This is an aftermarket company in the states that makes rod kits for tons of Japanese two strokes.  I’ve installed probably 4 dozen of them over the years in various modern bikes and they  perform very well.  In actual fact I’d be more concerned installing a wiseco piston than a hot rods kit in an engine.  Any of the kits available through the Bultaco suppliers will work just fine though.  
steve 

Thanks, SteveM.

I'll give Hugh's a call.  I suspect you're right about Hot Rods being the manufacturer, though I thought the Hot Rods name actually appears on the rod itself.  Regardless, it sounds like you've had consistently good luck with them.  Perhaps Tim can provide some further info.

Appreciate the recommendation!

Cheers!

C.