Colorful cables, just like my closet looked in the 80s :-) Cotta 349

jofritz

Hi there, last activities in the Bultaco section... but now talking about my latest Montesa.

There is no sparc so I decided to take things off to simplify the lot. No lights, horn, switches ... and ended up with 4 cables comming from the engine... all pink, burgundy and puple cables gone (never seen that before 🙂)

Now, I would expect the black going to the coil, the red from the lighting was to ground, but will be gone, once I managed to open up the little nut on the bracket... so I have a green, white and yellow left... on my Bultaco it is the green one to earth... for the Montesa I could not find anything to help me sorting things out yet.

Any help welcome...

Montesa cables.jpg

Montesa coil.jpg

Hi majesty, wanted to send this message:

Hi there, I think this is the PM function...

Thank you very much... that will help in general even though I have to admit, looking at a wiring diagram confuses me usually even more 😞 especially if it comes down to earth matters, own a Triumph tiger with negative earth, which still confuses me a lot 🙂

Joachim

but received this message:
majesty cannot receive messages.

had a closer look at daylight... the white is PINK... so still 80s 🙂

So my earlier mail should state:

I have 4 cables from the engine:

black green yellow and PINK

which one needs to be grounded on the coil bracket?

2 hours ago, jofritz said:

Hi majesty, wanted to send this message:

Hi there, I think this is the PM function...

Thank you very much... that will help in general even though I have to admit, looking at a wiring diagram confuses me usually even more 😞 especially if it comes down to earth matters, own a Triumph tiger with negative earth, which still confuses me a lot 🙂

Joachim

but received this message:
majesty cannot receive messages.

Hi Joachim,

I've emptied my message inbox, so if you would like to try again, it should be OK this time.

Hi Ian, thanks again... but as I said... I don't really get it...

pink to "stop" (break-switch rather than kill switch?)

green to horn (...)

yellow to where? ends some place in the handlebar switch and goes on in some other color...

Now red (which is history on my bike) came from all lights (front and back) and was grounded out ont the coil bracket...

so what shuld I put there instead???

Edited by jofritz

• 2 weeks later...

Hy guys and thanks so far... Been on holidays and now staring again working on the Montesa. Don't yet get it... Black to coil, kill switch and condenser. So far understood. On my bultaco the green from the magneto goes directly to ground (bracket on coil) on the Montesa I have the red wires comming from all sides of the lightsystem to be grounded on this bracket. So somehow it feels right to have a line from the kill switch back to the coil bracket (might as well be red) to ground the kill switch. But won't be any cable leading from the magneto to ground bracket directly? There must be some guys driving with ignition wiring only.. 

Edited by jofritz

After receiving a new hint I tried it. Black cable only, that is all it needs for running... and I have spark, but probably to weak for propper running. Will start using starter spray, revs up but does not run on the fuel supply. Engine stops after a few seconds, only managed to start it twice...

what would you guys do next/first??? Thank you in advance... and greetings after some days at the beautiful cote-d'azur

• 7 months later...

I wonder if anyone can help me!

My 1980 349 doesn't have a yellow but it does have a white, purple, blue, green,red and brown.

Bike runs but I don't know what colours are for. Dip,main,horn,main feed and kill switch.

I understand that stop lamp wiring goes nowhere near the handlebar switch.

Are the lights supposed to be permanently on? I don't have the original switch but do have a Bultco one.

I am in Spain up in the mountains and it's a Spanish market bike.