Factory vs Standard 2T

GarERobs

I've owned a few factory bikes and find them too aggressive for my occasional riding these days. I like them because of the extra bling (suspension, brakes etc) and resale value.

I'm tempted to get another and making it as soft as possible with low compression head insert, flywheel weight and possibly a slow action throttle. Arm pump is my biggest issue, probably due to lack of bike time.

Do the factory bikes have different ignition modules that make them more aggressive? If so would it be an idea to fit an ignition module from a non factory bike?

Any other tricks to soften things off?

Cheers

Cheers... I had a '13 300 Evo Factory. Lovely bike but a complete animal! I've also had a '19 250 Evo Factory and was much more manageable but didn't have a flywheel weight so still quite feisty.

I'm considering a 200 or maybe an Evo SS.

Is the Evo SS still being made?

I've had several EVO 300s but just bought a low mile 2020 Factory 300 that I've been taming or at least trying to tame. There is definately something to the Factory engine that is different. Looking at the parts lists the standard and Factory have the same cylinder and piston but a different ignition module so more aggressive timing I would guess. On my 2020 I've added Moto Tassinari carbon reeds V351B block with 3P412M reed petals, S3 long header pipe, S3 low compression head, clutch mod and gear shifter mod and 9 tooth countershaft sprocket. It's just now getting to where I want it but every once in a while it remembers it's a Factory and tries to kill me.😁

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, dan williams said:

I've had several EVO 300s but just bought a low mile 2020 Factory 300 that I've been taming or at least trying to tame. There is definately something to the Factory engine that is different. Looking at the parts lists the standard and Factory have the same cylinder and piston but a different ignition module so more aggressive timing I would guess. On my 2020 I've added Moto Tassinari carbon reeds V351B block with 3P412M reed petals, S3 long header pipe, S3 low compression head, clutch mod and gear shifter mod and 9 tooth countershaft sprocket. It's just now getting to where I want it but every once in a while it remembers it's a Factory and tries to kill me.😁

I've just compared the parts list for 2020 Gasgas 250 Racing vs GP and everything on the electrical side are identical except for the ignition coil (no idea why). CDI is the same and same spark plug for both bikes.

What effect does the carbon reeds have? 👍

On 8/28/2022 at 5:56 AM, GarERobs said:

What effect does the carbon reeds have? 👍

Makes the bike grunt. I swear it'll pull a gear higher in any situation and stalls very rarely even crawling. The logic is the reeds weigh less so they have less inertia and can open and close faster storing more charge in the crankcase at low rpm. At higher rpm reeds of any type will just stay open so there is no difference in the engine assuming there is no significant difference in the reed cage and how it affects airflow.

• Like 1