braktec Braking system on my 4RT

Nigelpugh

So my new 4RT has come with braktec Master and slave cylinders fitted for both the front and rear brakes.

I am assuming hay these are not fitted as standard to a normal out of the box 4RT?

My question is relating to the free play in both levers, that is the vertical movement up and down, not the travel of the lever in normal use of the brake and clutch operation.

So I would like to know if they all have so much free play? I can only describe it as wobble, it seems to be too much to me, perhaps about 25-30mm of vertical free play in each lever?

I assume they have a brass bushing as the bearing inside the actual lever, but do they perhaps need spacers on the top and bottom?

It would be nice to hear from anyone who has the same brakes on what yours are like?

Thanks in advance, and sorry if it’s a dumb newbie question! 

Edited by Nigelpugh
Spelling mistakes by me!

• Nigelpugh changed the title to braktec Braking system on my 4RT

3 minutes ago, Nigelpugh said:

So my new 4RT has come with braktec Master and slave cylinders fitted for both the front and rear brakes.

I am assuming hay these are not fitted as standard to a normal out of the box 4RT?

My question is relating to the free play in both levers, that is the vertical movement up and down, not the travel of the lever in normal use of the brake and clutch operation.

So I would like to know if they all have so much free play? I can only describe it as wobble, it seems to be too much to me, perhaps about 25-30mm of vertical free play in each lever?

I assume they have a brass bushing as the bearing inside the actual lever, but do they perhaps need spacers on the top and bottom?

It would be nice to hear from anyone who has the same brakes on what yours are like?

Thanks in advance, and sorry if it’s a dumb newbie question! 

Should’ve posted a picture to show the levers , so here you go!

A8E54062-2349-4C1E-BCC5-905686FD9C71.thumb.jpeg.f906707d45dcfd62a6fe0eb6d6e7b479.jpegF800503A-C24C-47CF-AA0F-CDBD7850EEA8.thumb.jpeg.09de61c8277cf2e74fbfe616f7c4058d.jpeg

Edited by Nigelpugh
Wrong pictures

Quick update on this, I had some spare time today so unbolted the brake lever.

The Allen headed bolt is threaded at the bottom and also has a lock nut on the outside.

I removed the lock nut, and unthreaded the bolt to take the whole brake lever out.

Brass bush and a nylon bush on the other side both in place, no signs of excessive wear.

So replaced the lever and tightened the bolt up, which seems to pinch the body closer together and then put the locknut back in place.

All good now slack removed, a very simple job in the end!!

Edited by Nigelpugh
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

On 9/13/2022 at 8:04 PM, Cota300rr said:

Thanks I am actually finding mine to be rather loose as well, I'll give your trick a try! 

I might have to rebuild my master cylinder as well actually, the lever tends to need pumping back up as it slowly sinks into the handlebar over extended use. 

Hope it helped a bit chap!

Im quite sure when I chuck mine down the track at the wood that they will soon get bent out of shape again!

On 9/13/2022 at 8:04 PM, Cota300rr said:

Thanks I am actually finding mine to be rather loose as well, I'll give your trick a try! 

I might have to rebuild my master cylinder as well actually, the lever tends to need pumping back up as it slowly sinks into the handlebar over extended use. 

I ended up getting new levers, the Zeta Pivot setup that bend backwards. They look slick and they're shorter too so a slightly easier pull. 

Rebuilt the M/C as well, small nick in one seal on the piston. Something must have got in there. Works beautifully now! 

My 301 would never see pivot levers. LOL I tossed the Braktec`s. But then again I tossed most things on my 2021 before I even started my bike. Ajp m/c`s, s3 digit levers, TRS Gold front brake Caliper. Highly modified clutch basket. I have a long list if you are interested. 

20220902_190428_resized.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cota300rr said:

I ended up getting new levers, the Zeta Pivot setup that bend backwards. They look slick and they're shorter too so a slightly easier pull. 

Rebuilt the M/C as well, small nick in one seal on the piston. Something must have got in there. Works beautifully now! 

Not seen the Zeta ones, have you got any pics please?

I always preferred the small two finger levers from a feel point of view, so might look at them as an alternative.

4 hours ago, lineaway said:

My 301 would never see pivot levers. LOL I tossed the Braktec`s. But then again I tossed most things on my 2021 before I even started my bike. Ajp m/c`s, s3 digit levers, TRS Gold front brake Caliper. Highly modified clutch basket. I have a long list if you are interested. 

20220902_190428_resized.jpg

Thanks for the feedback. What is so bad about the braktec set up out of interest.?

Also would really like to see the full list of all the mods you have done too please!

Before I even started my bike ( I got it in the crate) I had stocked up on a lot of CSP parts. So I installed new triple clamps, skid plate, levers, s3 titanium header. And many bling items in red that I will list later. After this pic was taken, I replaced all the original plastic.

Screenshot_20210723-180250_Gallery_resized.jpg

Edited by lineaway
  • Like 1

I went with the stronger skidplate and cut the plate rubber to make oil filter changes easier. I also put longer skid plate bolts in the rear, to never have to remove the skid plate during a oil filter replacement.

1345255913_Screenshot_20220921-083910_2461989_resized.png

2033999912_Screenshot_20220921-084305_2295496_resized.png

Edited by lineaway
  • Like 1

CSP parts.

Triple clamps, skid plate, case saver, m/c lids, Timing bolt, both oil fillers, gas cap, axle nut, swingarm bushing covers, dog bone and dog bone skid plate, lever adjusters.

S3 PARTS

Header pipe, curve foot pegs, bar ends, digit levers.

Jitsie

9 tooth counter shaft sprocket, 38 tooth solid red rear sprocket.

TRS Gold front caliper with matching AJP large resivoir M/C on brake and clutch.

Replaced magnet with ATV racing teather.

Went to EBC friction plates and Apico dimpled steel plates.

Apico aluminum fast throttle tube.

Modded my clutch basket for better oil flow to the plates. 48 added holes. Now I run dexron 6 with a great feeling clutch. No more using Elf oil for me.

20220902_170233.jpg

20220902_172442.jpg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Nigelpugh said:

Thanks for the feedback. What is so bad about the braktec set up out of interest.?

Also would really like to see the full list of all the mods you have done too please!

Thanks for the feedback. What is so bad about the braktec set up out of interest.?

I had a factory Beta with a bad braktek front brake M/C from new. About 2 months ago my Clutch M/C went bad during an event. Now I never worry about it.