Brake pedal angle/height.

Ftwelder

I had a weird experience today. I had to go down a very steep grade about 4/5m tall with a short run out and got a severe calf cramp trying to stay on the rear brake. I wonder how far above the peg is considered ideal? I may need to lower my pegs as my brake pedal can't go up any more. Thank you.

52114037360_40f915ca05_b.jpg

I like my brake pedal to be level with the foot peg when depressed by hand, essentially taking the slack out of the system and applying some pressure. So the pedal is noticeably above the peg when at rest. My TRS actually won’t let you lower it much anyway as it will hit the frame. And my SWM is fortunately a left side kicker so I can set the pedal wherever I like. And just pick up the essentials to build up a Fantic 340(301 engine in a 240 frame) which has the excellent front firing kicker😀 brake pedal also free for any configuration.

I see the problem with the low kick shaft Suzuki,really constraints you. Can you just raise the tip of the pedal? Check out the shape of the RL 250 brake pedal,it curls around the kicker. 

Edited by htrdoug
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, guy53 said:

How much travel do you need from the pedal to get the brake working

Not very much. may be 15mm before the shoes touch. I keep the slack to a minimum.

5 hours ago, htrdoug said:

I like my brake pedal to be level with the foot peg when depressed by hand, essentially taking the slack out of the system and applying some pressure. So the pedal is noticeably above the peg when at rest. My TRS actually won’t let you lower it much anyway as it will hit the frame. And my SWM is fortunately a left side kicker so I can set the pedal wherever I like. And just pick up the essentials to build up a Fantic 340(301 engine in a 240 frame) which has the excellent front firing kicker😀 brake pedal also free for any configuration.

I see the problem with the low kick shaft Suzuki,really constraints you. Can you just raise the tip of the pedal? Check out the shape of the RL 250 brake pedal,it curls around the kicker. 

I can probably add some to the brake pedal and also looking at making some lower profile pegs. The pedal is much lower than the peg when applied.

Thanks folks, Ill make some progress and check in.

22 hours ago, htrdoug said:

Whip up something like this as a quick experiment 

https://www.delaytrial.com/marca-motocicleta/fantic/accesorios-fantic/soporte-estriberas-fantic-200-minifantic/

Easier than building new mounts but they will put bending stresses on your present setup, 

That looks pretty easy! My mounts are tapered pieces of thick square tube and stuck on there pretty well. Thanks.

20 hours ago, lineaway said:

You need better front brakes, that`s where the stopping power is. But the rear should lock up!

Great comment and you are correct but I probably didn't pull the front brake lever hard enough. The grade was extremely steep and front brake lever angle may not have been correct along with the brake pedal. I bottomed the fork so hard oil shot out past the seals!  I clearly need to work on my set-up.

• 2 weeks later...

On 9/20/2022 at 7:10 AM, guy53 said:

I have one question, is the sole of your boots flat on the peg when you ride?

Guy 

Yes for the most part. I don't mind them at an angle except they don't fold back properly.  I angled them a little in an effort to make the kicker clear the peg. It does not.