Do many on here ride motocross too?

Cliff43

I started out in trials as a young lad and have ridden for the past 40+ since. However I do some MX & especially nowadays Enduro. As a result of the skills I learned through trials, I took to both mx & enduro quite easily, to a high degree of success. In fact in my very first mx race I hole shot the start without realising it, finishing 3rd in the moto overall. This was with zero start practice and very little track time.  I believe the reason was that through my trials skills learned for throttle and clutch control I was naturally able to get the power down, and the bike gripping for good acceleration off the start line. Also I was much better in the wet conditions both in mx and enduro and definitely good at the technical side of enduro.  

This is why you see the likes of Graham Jarvis, Billy Bolt and a long list of other off road riders that are very successful across many disciplines. The likes of Toni Bou is said to be very quick on both an enduro and mx bike. 

I know most of the top mx riders definitely train on trials bikes during the off season to hone their technical skills and feel for the bike and so do many of the road racers and supermoto riders. 

I always find it amusing when riders from other motorcycle disciplines remark on trials as being "for pussies" before ever actually having a go at it. Then only to realise how difficult, skilful and physically demanding trials can be.

So in short, yes I not only ride trials for fun, I also ride it as part of my training for mx & enduro.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Intotrials said:

I always find it amusing when riders from other motorcycle disciplines remark on trials as being "for pussies" before ever actually having a go at it. Then only to realise how difficult, skilful and physically demanding trials can be.

This is true, but the same is also said in reverse. Ive heard trials riders look down on other forms of motorsport claiming that trials is the most technical and you dont need skill for mx. I even feel the author who has written the attached link is a little on their high horse about trials. "Trials teaches much better throttle clutch and brake control" and "travelling at speeds covers up any imperfections of your use of them", I totally disagree!!! Theres also plenty of world champion mx riders who have never thrown their leg over a trials bike

I would agree that trials riders seem to adapt a little quicker to mx than a mx'er to trials but at the end of the day if you want to be at the top of either you gotta get good at each disciplines nuances. I currently ride classic mx myself, having started out in trials, but i wouldn't say i use one to train for other. I just enjoy both.  Theres also been numerous times ive had to undo habits ive picked up in trials. Standing too much, sitting position and clutch/throttle use. I am and will always will remain crap at jumps. As intotrials says, applying a trials riders ability to find grip can be a great help, but ive also found times ive been riding mx in a much too reserved manner because ive been trying to find grip all the time. Sometimes a handful of throttle and an ignorant drop of the clutch can be quicker  

Edited by faussy
  • Like 2

I started trials in 1975 and MX in 1982 and have done a bit of grass track as well and had ridden off road (old road bike with knobbly tyres) a bit well before starting trials proper. Both sports complement each other. For quite a few years I did both, sometimes trialling till quite late on a Saturday evening and then getting up early on Sunday for MX, never had any problem adapting.

• Like 2

On 9/9/2022 at 3:09 PM, faussy said:

This is true, but the same is also said in reverse. Ive heard trials riders look down on other forms of motorsport claiming that trials is the most technical and you dont need skill for mx. I even feel the author who has written the attached link is a little on their high horse about trials. "Trials teaches much better throttle clutch and brake control" and "travelling at speeds covers up any imperfections of your use of them", I totally disagree!!! Theres also plenty of world champion mx riders who have never thrown their leg over a trials bike

I would agree that trials riders seem to adapt a little quicker to mx than a mx'er to trials but at the end of the day if you want to be at the top of either you gotta get good at each disciplines nuances. I currently ride classic mx myself, having started out in trials, but i wouldn't say i use one to train for other. I just enjoy both.  Theres also been numerous times ive had to undo habits ive picked up in trials. Standing too much, sitting position and clutch/throttle use. I am and will always will remain crap at jumps. As intotrials says, applying a trials riders ability to find grip can be a great help, but ive also found times ive been riding mx in a much too reserved manner because ive been trying to find grip all the time. Sometimes a handful of throttle and an ignorant drop of the clutch can be quicker  

Yes, you have made some very good points. Riding at speed requires additional skills and this is something I'm still learning. I'm way past my best in trials but my enduro and mx is very slowly (old age) improving, though I often wonder if is more my courage than skill.

I just can't build up the courage to hit the big jumps, the fear of crashing (which I have done so many times) on jumps prevents me to commit and I always back off, just can't help it. There's a table top on a track I get to ride that I have never cleared, every time I come round I try to convince myself to go that little bit quicker, but as always I just back off slightly and end up just short every time. Then some kid comes past me flat out and just whips over it effortlessly with no fear! 

Every discipline (especially at the top levels) requires natural ability and specific skill sets, regardless. Much like running in athletics, speed training helps if you are a long distance runner and vice versa, long distance running helps if you are a sprinter. But to be the best, focus on the required specific skill for that particular discipline is crucial. 

Edited by Intotrials
spelling
  • Thanks 1