Exhaust & Engine Casing High Tem Paint

midgy

Hi Guys,

Can anybody suggest the best high temperature paint for exhausts.  I have used rubbish stuff previously (from Halfords) which just dissolves when petrol is spilled on it. I even cured the casings and exhausts in the oven to try and get a good result.  Don't want to get lumbered with the rubbish stuff again.

Also similar suggestions appreciated for high temperature lacquer that will not dissolve.

Thanks  

I found halfords high temp black works fine but you have to let it dry overnight then bake it on with a propane torch until it turns slightly grey and stops smoking. then let cool before using or letting petrol get on it. Simoniz  sperex vht is very good but like halfords it has to dry properly and be baked on.

I have used duplicolor engine paint with good success on engine casings and it is not sensitive to petrol.  It came out beautiful even with my crap spray skills.    One color even matches old OEM engine cases.    https://www.duplicolor.com/product/engine-enamel-with-ceramic/

Rustoleum high heat paint looks great on the exhaust and has not been affected by petrol.    https://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/auto/specialty-paints/high-heat?ls=248903&lc=Flat Black

In both cases I bead blasted, used the recommended primer, applied at the recommended temperature and allowed to cure before touching.  Recommended application temperature can be a challenge depending on the season so I applied outside at mid day and then stored inside to maintain the temperature during cure.  Exhaust application temp is 50 deg F and engine application temp is 60 degrees F.   No high temp cure was used on either because it was not recommended.  Both have been flushed with leaking petrol and there has been no affect.

11 hours ago, mcman56 said:

I have used duplicolor engine paint with good success on engine casings and it is not sensitive to petrol.  It came out beautiful even with my crap spray skills.    One color even matches old OEM engine cases.    https://www.duplicolor.com/product/engine-enamel-with-ceramic/

Rustoleum high heat paint looks great on the exhaust and has not been affected by petrol.    https://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/auto/specialty-paints/high-heat?ls=248903&lc=Flat Black

In both cases I bead blasted, used the recommended primer, applied at the recommended temperature and allowed to cure before touching.  Recommended application temperature can be a challenge depending on the season so I applied outside at mid day and then stored inside to maintain the temperature during cure.  Exhaust application temp is 50 deg F and engine application temp is 60 degrees F.   No high temp cure was used on either because it was not recommended.  Both have been flushed with leaking petrol and there has been no affect.

I am glad to see that you have found some aerosol products that actually do what they claim, as in my own experience any aerosol heat resistant paint has never been very petrol resistant , or even water resistant.

I shall give these products a try on my next exhaust refurb.

I have previously only found - Powder Coating, ceramic coating & 2 pack paint to be the only products petrol resistant  { and some of these are not very heat resistant }

thanks for the info

Many thanks for everybody's advice.

Will be trying the RHT stuff as suggested by Woody on the Bultacos and a Suzuki road bike.  Might be a month or two before bikes are ready for testing the paints but will update later on how it all works out.