Betor Gas Aluminum shocks

stephen m

I have bought a pair of Betor Gas Aluminum Trial shocks and found the bush a little too wide to fit in my frame. 

The bush feels like it’s in a spherical bearing so I’m not sure if they press out?  

I emailed Betor and I’m not sure they knew what I was asking….

It needs to be just 2mm narrower - so I could grind it down in situ, but if it comes out I’d prefer to do that. 

Stephen

Betor often are around 24mm wide and have sort of rubber bush installed. I don´t know how to take it out undamaged. You may have to make your frame attachments wider to accept the shock. 24mm is quite normal.

If the shock has a bladder (or Internal floating piston) inside (think most of them have) best is to mount it with the cylinder facing upwards in order to keep the unsprung weight low

• Thanks 1

On 9/25/2022 at 3:41 AM, stephen m said:

I have bought a pair of Betor Gas Aluminum Trial shocks and found the bush a little too wide to fit in my frame. 

The bush feels like it’s in a spherical bearing so I’m not sure if they press out?  

I emailed Betor and I’m not sure they knew what I was asking….

It needs to be just 2mm narrower - so I could grind it down in situ, but if it comes out I’d prefer to do that. 

Stephen

I had the same issue with a pair of Magical shocks I bought years ago for my Fantic twinshock, they were 24mm spherical where I really just needed 21mm.

I just ground 1.5mm off each end of the sleeve, easy enough and worked a treat.

Both 21mm and 24mm are common sleeve widths.  Also, I think Magicals are glorified Betors, or something like that.

Edited by fourex
  • Like 1

On 10/3/2022 at 7:58 AM, stephen m said:

Thanks @fourex That’s what I’ve just started to do. I’m a bit concerned about keeping it square - but I’ll see how I get on 🙂 

Just clamp a bolt of the appropriate size in your vice, set it up so just 1 mm or so of sleeve protrudes past the end of that bolt and slowly hand file, that's what I did from memory.

• Like 1