New purchase Clutch EVO125

Ginettaman

My sons and I have Just bought our first bike 2021 EVO 125 and as soon as we put her in gear after starting it, it shot off when the clutch was supposed to be disengaged? Have we bought a dud with a knackered clutch?? I had a read of the Clutch Thread below but not sure if this is a fault or if it can be adjusted before full strip down?? When warmer it got a bit better but still felt to drag a little?

• Like 1

Most Beta owners have a dent in their van because of this! ... every Beta I've been aware of does this (mine and friends)... warm it up for a bit in neutral, kill the motor, then select 3rd, roll back and forward whilst sitting on it with clutch lever pulled in until you feel it free up. Put it back in Neutral, then start up, and off you go. The clutch mod on the Beta forum helps, but I think its just a "thing". Good luck! Mark

• 4 weeks later...

Start it up with clutch pulled in, warm it up with clutch pulled in, it clears very soon, I have rev3 125, and evo 250, 250 has a thin washer behind the pressure plate ,an easy mod.

Edited by Mwl

Glazed clutch plates do not retain oil and can cause a hard "cold stick".  I de-glazed with coarse scotch brite & then thoroughly cleaned which seemed to help.  Also check for correct amount of clean gearbox oil.  Check your hydraulic clutch rod throwout is within spec and that the seals are in good condition with fresh fluid and properly bled and that the lever is adjusted so that it has sufficient travel.  Beta offer two thicknesses of friction plates, 3.0mm and 2.7mm.  Check that your bike has the correct combination of plates fitted according to the parts diagram.  Some bikes have six 2.7mm, other bikes have two 3.0mm at 1 & 6 with four 2.7mm in between.

• Like 1

Thanks, Yesterday I was riding around the field for sometime working the clutch in / out until it finally freed off. Very dangerous on a child's bike. I've never known such a poor set up on a bike. Oil is fresh and adjusted free play etc. Bike only left a week. Bike is only a year old so clutch not been out yet.

I have freed off the clutch then tied in the clutch lever for the time being. I have ordered some thin 16mm ID 22mm OD Shims / Washers and I'll have a go at getting the clutch to disengage so my son can find neutral too!! I will have a look at the plates too while in there to see if worn or glazed. May also see if the slave cylinder can be bled removing any free play. To me the clutch is not being pushed out enough to free the plates and I would expect this alone will increase plate wear.

Your oil has a lot to do with it and lowering the amount helps to. I have used ATF in my Beta`s for 3 decades. Drop your oil quantity by 50-75 cc. The shim will take away the drag, but will not cure the cold stick.

Edited by lineaway