Clutch Stiff

MarkChiv

Vertigo should have hydraulic clutch. Stiffness is determined by the ratio of cylinders, friction and clutch spring hardness. Some thick oil inside lever (specially at the cup) may help little or cleaning if dirty. You also may look for a smaller diameter main cylinder or a larger diameter slave cylinder. This will cost you stroke. Softer clutch springs may cause clutch slip but  will help clutch stiffness. First make sure everything is working properly as it was intended to do then decide what to do.

How old is the bike? If the clutch is heavy, then something is definitely wrong with it.  Even on the early models, when working correctly the clutch should be very light and easy to operate.

I had this problem when I first bought my bike and it turned out to be a failing slave cylinder in the clutch. 

I put a new clutch pack in, fresh clutch fluid, new slave cylinder and changed my oil to Elf HTX 740.  The result was a complete transformation in the clutch action from heavy to super smooth, light and progressive action.

Here is a pretty detailed guide with pictures of adjusting the Clutch on the Vertigo’s https://thumbsuptrials.com/general-maintenance/how-to-adjustment-inspection-replacement-a-vertigo-clutch/

Hi Mark,

On a 2020 bike you should have a nice, light lever feel.

Changing the ring from 1 to 2 would give a shorter more positive engagement.  1 is intended to be the most progressive setting. With 3 being a more instant engagement.  You can also move up the numbers to compensate for clutch wear over time.

Going up the numbers from 1 to 2 would, I think, make the clutch slightly heavier if anything.  I’m not fully familiar with operation of diaphragm clutch but moving the ring won’t affect the lever feel very much I don’t think.

Do you have another Vertigo you could try the clutch on?  You’ll be surprised how light it should be when set up correctly.

I would be looking at the hydraulic system for the clutch probelm.  Do you get any clutch drag or does the bike jump forward a bit when you first drop into first from neutral?  Mine started out with clutch drag as one of the symptoms, accompanied with really heavy lever feel.

I would try bleeding the clutch line, also check that there is enough free play on the clutch lever adjuster.  Make sure there is enough free play so that the piston fully releases in the clutch master cylinder when there is no pressure on the clutch lever.

Bleed the system from the bottom up and suck out the excess fluid using a syringe from the master cylinder as you go, this is a good way to make sure you have no air in the line.

Hopefully one of the above might help you.