Gas Gas hard starting?

NoTraction

Good Evening all!

I’m looking at buying a TXT 250 Racing, 2021 model but I’ve heard too many rumours that they’re hard to start. I test rode one on Sunday and, to be fair, I had to get the owner to start it as it wouldn’t start for me. Is this a thing? Doesn’t make sense, surely it would put folks off buying them if they don’t start?

My Beta Evo starts easy, I’m looking forward to the change as it’s a great bike to ride but will be mighty frustrated if I can’t start the thing, especially if I’m half way up a slippery bank!

Can anyone enlighten me on this?

I have a 2020 300 GP. It starts usually 2nd kick from cold and almost always 1st kick when warm. I wouldn't say it requires any particular knack; just get the kickstart on compression and then give it a good solid kick without snatching at it, and NO throttle!

1 hour ago, ksv said:

I have a 2020 300 GP. It starts usually 2nd kick from cold and almost always 1st kick when warm. I wouldn't say it requires any particular knack; just get the kickstart on compression and then give it a good solid kick without snatching at it, and NO throttle!

Thanks, that’s reassuring! Loved riding the 250 👌🏻

I'm practicing tomorrow with a mate whose got one (TXT 250 Racing) so I'll have a bit of a session with it and see how I get on. I've been spoiled starting wise with the Beta, 1st kick every kick whether its a positive kick or a lame half prod - apart from when its been on its side or upside down then its a bitch.... (usually somewhere awkward...!). 😉 

GasGas owners have to start their bikes for other riders lol, it's a lifestyle. You have to catch the motor on the compression stroke with the kick start high in the rotation. A nice solid downward kick and crack the throttle 1/8.

Try to be consistent with your kicks when you reset. Don't hammer on it.

2 hours ago, UG_ALLSTAR said:

GasGas owners have to start their bikes for other riders lol, it's a lifestyle. You have to catch the motor on the compression stroke with the kick start high in the rotation. A nice solid downward kick and crack the throttle 1/8.

Try to be consistent with your kicks when you reset. Don't hammer on it.

So I had a bit of practice on my mates today. Think I got it nailed! 👍

• Like 2