Hello everyone

oldtimetrials

Hello everyone out there in trials world. My name is Robby and I used to do trials back in the late 60s early 70s at my local meetings at Buxton, Matlock and Leak etc. I was never brilliant but loved every Sunday when trialing, I used to ride a mclaren suzuki, I wish I still had it now, I found it very light and easy to ride. I am in the process of restoring a Bultaco 250, it's a bit of a miss match but all there, I would like to thank  Pete at in motion trials for all his excellent help and advise on my project, his service and aftersales is second to none.

• Like 3

Hi all, here are a few photo's of what's gone on so far. What i like to do is to etch prime before primer and then top coat and lacquer. the frame as is needs another top coat and then lacquering. The tank and seat are in primer. The forks are not quite finished yet, I am waiting for the new seals to come and then finish of cleaning. As you can see, I have cleaned some of the parts in the box but not all, I do my cleaning between other jobs. The wheels have not been touched yet but I do have new tyres for them. The motor has had the top end off to check, I didn't know that dykes rings were fitted to these, piston, barrels head all in really good condition, I have had the clutch out to check and all is good. All in all, the bike is in good condition, it had just been left for some years and the old rust had attacked it but now it's gone. This is the first trials bike that I have took on, in my retirement my hobby is rescuing old bikes from the scrap heap or breakers and normally I do old air cooled Yamaha's plus anything that takes my eye, I'm really enjoying this one as it takes me back to my trialing days and it wont be the last.

IMG_9835.JPG

IMG_9837.JPG

IMG_9839.JPG

IMG_9840.JPG

IMG_9841.JPG

IMG_9838.JPG

• Like 2

It does look more "period correct", but there's often quite a split on what people choose!  I got my TY and my other half's Pampera frames powder coated simply because it was quick, but I like the painted from on my Cota (which has rubbed off in places, but it suits the bike since it's a survivor rather than restored)

Hi, here is a photo of the frame now it has had the paint and lacquer, my opinion is that it looks quite good. I do understand that the opinion of others vary, the same as Yamaha followers, but at the end of the day, I made the choice and am more than happy with the end result. As I said before, the bike is a miss match, the frame is model 85 250 Alpina and the motor is a model 49 250 Sherpa so this bike will never be original but it will be a nice looking bike that will give loads of fun. This one I am doing as a favour to a good friend of mine, he purchased the bike back in 1975, he was told it was all original and not many were made, it came with a log book and was registered for the road, he never checked the numbers on the log book, when I got the bike I checked on the DVLA registrations as the reg number was still on and it couldn't be found. When I ordered some parts from Pete at in motion, he asked for the frame and engine numbers to get the correct parts, it was Pete that informed me it wasn't what it should be. I got the log book from my friend and checked the numbers, the engine was correct but the frame number was different, my friend was gutted, he said that back then he just got the bike and was more interested in riding it rather than reading, he thought he had a gem when in reality he was stitched up. I will do all I can to put a smile back on his face when he sees his bike looking nice clean and fresh and one that he can bring back his youth.

thumbnail (3).jpg

thumbnail (4).jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, I've got the forks rebuilt with new seals etc and also the front wheel and got them fitted. One thing that has pleased me is that all of the bolts for fitting the mudguard, after cleaning all the crud and rust from them, are original bultaco stamped bolts. My opinion is that it is looking quite good.

thumbnail (5).jpg

thumbnail (6).jpg

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all, even though it's so cold in my workshop I have managed to do a little more on the bike, here is an update. The rear mudguard was a real state, it was bent and cracked and I thought it was scrap but I decided to give it a go at rebuilding the rear section and fit a brake light, as it is going to be re registered I covered the end in leather ready for the new reg, not brilliant but I'm happy with the end result.

IMG_0161 (1).JPG

IMG_0162.JPG

IMG_0163 (1).JPG

• Like 1

Sticky vinyl only seals well on smooth surfaces, if it was me I'd go with paint.  Be sure to have a friendly MOT station lined up for the test though, strictly speaking you should have a flat plate (my Cota passed with a hand-painted curved plate just fine, because the MOT station owner rode twinshocks)

Hi, thanks for your reply. MOT is no problem as it is a friend of mine that owns the shop/garage that is local. In saying that, with the Bultaco being over 40yrs it is exempt, I will make sure everything is right on the bike but I don't think my mate who owns the bike will bother with an MOT but I will make sure it is road legal. More to come soon.