Boots for big feet

Drehmoment

Hello everyone,

I am back into trials after many years riding only enduro.

Now I want boots but don't know which brands are recommended.

I am looking for save and high quality boots that are also available in big sizes.

I am not so much concerned about the price as I value my feet quite high.

Personal opinion here. Gaernes are comfy, but i find too soft and lack protection, especially when wet. Sidi, stiff, good protection but sole has a tendancy of coming away at the toe. Im currently using alpinestars. Super comfy, good protection, but cant speak yet about long term durability. Forma are probably the other consideration, but ive no experience of these.

Edited by faussy

Thanks faussy! What is the general Opinion on Hebo Boots? 

SIDI are out for me since they moved their Production to Romania and the Quality on their Enduroboots dropped. My Gaerne G12 are the best boots I ever had for enduroriding, but the least thing I want is a soft anklesupport.

35 minutes ago, faussy said:

Personal opinion here. Gaernes are comfy, but i find too soft and lack protection, especially when wet. Sidi, stiff, good protection but sole has a tendancy of coming away at the toe. Im currently using alpinestars. Super comfy, good protection, but cant speak yet about long term durability. Forma are probably the other consideration, but ive no experience of these.

Which A-Stars are you using btw? 

I have size  uk15 feet. The only boot company who do a UK 15 is gaerne who do a EU 50. They are the biggest trials boot you can get. Quality boots if you get the oiled waterproof type. Not cheap at £260 but last year's if you oil them regularly. I hammer my boots every week and then jet wash them and they survive. Buckles and catches are now more plastic than they use to be but still a good boot. You can have the sole refitted too as they sell the soles separately. Gaernes get my thumbs up through default as they are the only ones that fit me.

1 hour ago, Drehmoment said:

Thanks ! That matches my experience with gaerne. Do you also think they are on the soft side at the ankle support?

Yes the ankles are soft but it's trials not Motocross so I like the flexibility. The ankles are well cushioned yet supple. You won't be disappointed.

The old Hebos my other half has are a bit smaller than the indicated size ... she uses them without insoles and loves them, they seem pretty stiff.

I went 1 size up with my Forma Boulders and they have a good amount of toe room.  They have a good protection pad for the side of the ankle and have lasted me years of horrible abuse :)

I have Wulfsport and Gaerne's.  The boots offering the best protection by far are Wulfsport.  Wulfsport boots are made of thicker, stiffer leather and the soles are much stiffer too.  Gaerne's are soft and comfy but offer little ankle protection - I broke my ankle earlier this year wearing my Gaerne boots.  It wouldn't have happened if I had my Wulfsport boots on.  However, the most popular boot at trials competitions are Gaerne.

We sell AlpineStars, Forma and Hebo, and I have some experience with Gaerne. I've fitted a lot of boots over the years and at least these days you have a choice of some really well constructed, purpose built boots from a number of quality manufacturers.

The Formas have the biggest toe box area of all the boots, and are a good boot for the price. Sole material is good, and the welt stitching is good. Full leather uppers. They are a little heavy as they are genuine leather and are higher than most other brands up the shin. (good for most people). The interior lining is basic but functional. They are made up to size 48 . I have wide feet and a high arch and they are my boot of choice for fit alone.

The AStars are good quality construction, but quite a bit more expensive than the Forma. They are shorter in the length of the shin protection. Not quite as wide as the Forma, and a little lower in the arch area than the Forma, but definitely not a narrow boot. They are not 100% leather uppers, there is a fair bit of "vegan" leather as well, but this does make the boot lighter. Very solid buckle closures. They do make up to a EURO 48 as well. Good quality liner that allows the boot to slip on easily.

Hebo - there is quite a variety in Hebo boots so a little harder to quantify. They make the "Technical" boot is full grain leather (more robust in my opinion) or synthetic leather. The Synthetic options are lighter, leather heavier. I think if broken in properly the full leather upper moulds to your foot shape better. The "Technical" boot is again quite short. It has a very nice lining and the boot goes on easily. Both the Forma and AStars have a three buckle closure, the Hebo uses a two buckle and "powerStrap" system which is very nice. Medium to wide fit very similar to AlpineStars.

Hebo also do a taller boot with BOA closure, the TECH COMP. Very good boot but divides opinions with the BOA system. Very fast to get out of, a bit slower to get into. Great lining and sole, and a bit higher than the Technical model. All again up to size 48.

All of them are a welt sole construction, so soles can be replaced, and all of them have replaceable buckles.

I'd suggest trying on as many as you can, what one bloke says is brilliant (for his shaped feet), can be absolute poison for the next guy. We all have different shaped feet and expect different things from the boots. Hope that helps a little bit.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1