TY250 Flywheel

LaVern

Well I definitely don't have the one that it came with.  The one I have is 25.9mm wide and 4.4mm thick. Substantially smaller, thus lighter. Well thank you everyone who read and answered my post. Now I wonder if I might be able to find one of the original sies. 

LaVern

1 hour ago, LaVern said:

Well I definitely don't have the one that it came with.  The one I have is 25.9mm wide and 4.4mm thick. Substantially smaller, thus lighter. Well thank you everyone who read and answered my post. Now I wonder if I might be able to find one of the original sies. 

LaVern

You might be able to swap with someone who wants an A model flywheel. It's a popular mod for the later model TY250s for people who compete on them

That is a possibility. Next question, Why would somebody who competes in trials, want a lighter flywheel? I always thought that the heavier wheel allowed the engine to be run on lower RPMs, especially when coming out of a high RPM situation where increased RPMs would  lose traction easier? Of course my understanding could be completely wrong and if so, I welcome a lesson on Vintage Trials practices.  I am 71 years old and most of what I know, (and it isn't that much), was acquired in the mid '70s when I first learned about the sport. I never competed and  I will admit that most of my understanding of this aspect was from the fact that some of the manufacturers were using standard engines with larger flywheels on their trials models. Also if I remember correctly, replacement with a larger flywheel was a common after market modification at the time. Thanks.

LaVern

I think that it throttle response is a personnal thing, for me no weight at all on the flywheel of my TY with an A model cylinder is the way I like, yes quick response but also the motor '' rev down '' faster when you shut the throttle. I have to say that I ride more in the mountain than I run trials event.

Guy

Thanks for your input. As you, I think if my son rides it after restoration, it too will not be in competition, but as a trail bike. So perhaps in reality, it isn't a big deal for what it would be used for. I guess I should pick his brain about the level of this "restoration" that he wants. I just go back to the conversation I had with him when he stated with no doubt what so ever that the original flywheel made the bike easier to ride. I now have two other vintage trialers, a 1975 Suzuki RL250, and a 1975 Honda TL250, neither gets ridden in any form of competition, just trail riding.  I suspect that will be the role of this bike also.

LaVern

• Like 1