Steering head bearing replacement

al_orange

Sorry, I know this is boring and probably been covered before but what's the best method for a home attempt at removing the lower steering bearing from the stem? 

It looks like you should/could use a 16mm hex to remove the stem from the bottom yoke and in the processing push the bearing off? 

I'm trying to do this without mullering the bottom dust cover if possible. Already done the races and have removed the outer cage and roller pins from the bottom bearing. Just need to remove the inner race and I prefer technique over blunt force if possible. 

Thanks. 

The way I have always removed the lower bearing is to angle/disc grind a flat on the bearing. Obviously being careful not to damage the shaft or the clamps.  As the bearing becomes thin a colour line starts to show so start being extra careful. When you have it thin enough tap it with a hammer and the bearing will usually come off. Very quick and easy.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, eddie1 said:

The way I have always removed the lower bearing is to angle/disc grind a flat on the bearing. Obviously being careful not to damage the shaft or the clamps.  As the bearing becomes thin a colour line starts to show so start being extra careful. When you have it thin enough tap it with a hammer and the bearing will usually come off. Very quick and easy.

In this case, I want to preserve the lower dust cover if possible so there's no way of grinding it off without ruining it. 

The 16mm socket is a red herring as the stem is a press fit like all the others so I'll have to take it somewhere to press it out. 

1 hour ago, al_orange said:

In this case, I want to preserve the lower dust cover if possible so there's no way of grinding it off without ruining it. 

The 16mm socket is a red herring as the stem is a press fit like all the others so I'll have to take it somewhere to press it out. 

If you don't feel confident with a disc grinder then it might be better if you don't. I'm just sharing how I do it without damaging anything other than the scrap bearing inner race.