Dipping a toe into classic trials bikes…

NoTraction

I’m looking a buying a classic trials bike of some description. Unfortunately, when it comes to motorbikes, I love everything!

I’ve been riding trials for about a year on modern bikes and have become fairly addicted so I’m flogging my classic Harley as it now languishes in the corner and want to sample some classic trials bikes. So I’m just wondering if there are any particular brands or bikes out there to avoid due to inherent or unfixable issues, I guess I’ll be looking at SWM’s, Fantics, TY’s and the like from the early 80’s. Love the style of SWM’s but know nothing about them otherwise. No idea what the difference is between front kick and rear kick Fantics (200 I think?). Like the look of Bultaco’s but I rode a mid 70’s Sherpa and didn’t take to it at all, rattly old bag of bones I thought. Might just have been that particular bike! Really like the look of the TLR Hondas but again, are they imports that are hard to get parts for?

So just trying to find info generally on the older bikes and what might work best and what to avoid. If anyone could point me in the right direction I’d be grateful, thanks.

For competing at the cost of all else: Fantic 200/240 or a tricked out TY175.

For "lovely interesting engineering and character": Bultaco, Ossa, SWM. (Bultacos are coolest)

For people with OCD: A stock TY.

For masochists: Montesa.

For show-offs: TLR.

For really hard core masochists: TL.

For stamp collectors: Suzukis.

In all cases, be prepared to express a wide range of emotions in the garage and wallet areas.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, turbofurball said:

For competing at the cost of all else: Fantic 200/240 or a tricked out TY175.

For "lovely interesting engineering and character": Bultaco, Ossa, SWM. (Bultacos are coolest)

For people with OCD: A stock TY.

For masochists: Montesa.

For show-offs: TLR.

For really hard core masochists: TL.

For stamp collectors: Suzukis.

In all cases, be prepared to express a wide range of emotions in the garage and wallet areas.

That’s brilliant 🤣

• Like 1

" For "lovely interesting engineering and character": Bultaco, Ossa, SWM. (Bultacos are coolest) "

SWM's aren't really of the same generation as Bultacos etc, very successful bike in its day, very good quality components, generally cheaper now than others mentioned, no idea why. Most parts available at reasonable prices. No real flaws if maintained, unlike virtually all the other makes mentioned. 

• Like 2

If you have only ridden trials for a year go with the best advice and buy the cleanest stock ty175 you can find. There are still barn finds nation wide. Then if you like it, slowly trick it out.

I am on the sick side with a stock TL250 and a modifed TL300. Both heavy as hell.

But if you find a clean SWM it was one of the best twin shocks ever!

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, lineaway said:

If you have only ridden trials for a year go with the best advice and buy the cleanest stock ty175 you can find. There are still barn finds nation wide. Then if you like it, slowly trick it out.

I am on the sick side with a stock TL250 and a modifed TL300. Both heavy as hell.

Thanks - as is always the way, a curve ball has been thrown in. Someone has just emailed and asked if I would like to trade the Harley for a Trials spec Tiger Cub! The head says uh-oh, the heart says ‘where do I sign’!

3 hours ago, lineaway said:

The Japanese bikes are easiest to work on and of highest build quality, at least Yamaha and Honda.
Four strokes have more engine parts and are expensive IF there is a problem.
Then the Italian bikes where SWM with it's Austrian Rotax engine stands out in build quality,
then Fantic then the other brands.
The Spanish bikes are good some very good like the Montesa 242 but in terms of reliability third.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My advice would be to try and find a complete bike. Bike specific parts are getting harder to find and are generally expensive. You used to be able to find all sorts of parts on Ebay and the like but that source has all but dried up. If you can do the work yourself the cost of getting one restored and trials ready can be kept to a minimum, however as soon as you start farming work out to shops etc be prepared to pay. Check around and make sure parts are available for the bike you choose, I have Bultacos and they are quite easy to keep going and find parts for and the engine/gearbox is super reliable as the same bottom end was used on MX bikes etc. I have a couple of mates with TYs and they seem pretty good as well.

• Like 2

Massive difference between pre 65 and more modern twinshock. Pre 65 can be a minefield in terms of what is trials spec.. Close to original spec viewed as un competitive. Most pre65s are pretty trick nowadays e.g. New frame, forks shocks and numerous other mods so a trials spec cub covers a huge range of possibilities. Need lots of info. Great pre 65 bike, But depends what you want to ride, easier classic only trials or easier route on modern trials.  You will probably find more modern twinshock easier to ride but depends on the actual bike, condition, mods etc.

Absolutely love my BSA C15 for sound and smiles, had Fantic 240, very very good twinshock, much easier to ride,   I just didn't actually gel with it at all, didn't suit my riding style (lack of!!)  Now have a well sorted Honda tlr200, favourite trials bike I've ever ridden. People will usually recommend the bike they own/like, older bikes have more differences than modern so often it's good to try to have a ride on one to see if it suits. I guess Fantic200 would Get most votes

• Like 2

My dodgy advice - It is only an opinion afterall, is to find a TY175 Yamaha. Plenty around,easy to get parts for,easy to ride,reliable and plenty of trick bits available to make it whatever you want.Because there are plenty of them and plenty of parts makers/suppliers, the cost of them is often lower than some makes.And if you don't like it they will always sell well because of their reputation. They can be as good as any other twinshock with mods, but as always - Its more about the rider.

• Like 5