Hi I'm looking to start Trials competitions

TonyT

Hi all I'm new here and I am looking for some advice on what bike to get and where to start competitions?
I have MX experience but I feel there are more events for Trials is that correct?

Basically I'm training to be a stunt man and I need to have experience in 20 motorcycle competitions.

Thanks in advance for any advice 😎

**Edit - my location is Hertfordshire

Edited by TonyT

I know of 4 trials riders that have done that for a living. They all had over 100 competitions and were top riders in there class. Two men and two women. Two of them made a career out of it. Good luck!

Any new model of bike would do. You would need to add your location.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, lineaway said:

I know of 4 trials riders that have done that for a living. They all had over 100 competitions and were top riders in there class. Two men and two women. Two of them made a career out of it. Good luck!

Any new model of bike would do. You would need to add your location.

Where do I sign?

4 hours ago, TonyT said:

Do competitions generally allow 125/250 etc in the same catergory? And it’s just down to personal preference? 

Yes, in the right hands a modern type 125 can do anything a 250 can do at clubman level, they just need to be worked harder.  There's an age restriction on over-125s though, most people use 250s for most trials.

1 minute ago, turbofurball said:

Yes, in the right hands a modern type 125 can do anything a 250 can do at clubman level, they just need to be worked harder.  There's an age restriction on over-125s though, most people use 250s for most trials.

What’s the age restriction? I am 32 so would you say a 250 is ideal for me?

The age restriction is 16 if I remember correctly.  At age 38, with 27 years of being on trail and road bikes, I started trials on a Gasgas TXTPro 125 and it was absolutely the right move for me - I learned quickly and didn't get into trouble with it, then sold it easily after a year or so.  Then I got a couple of twinshocks (much harder to ride) and currently have a Sherco 250 ... next year I'll be selling the Sherco and one of the twinshocks, and just having my little TY175, which makes about the same power as the Gasgas 125 did (and was built to handle similar-ish to it, too).

Some people go right to a 250, if I had I would have regretted it - it's your decision!

• Like 1

On 11/21/2022 at 1:11 PM, TonyT said:

What’s the age restriction? I am 32 so would you say a 250 is ideal for me?

As turbofurball says, 

But it depends on your riding ability, weight and experience.

People assume that more power is better, but in trials this is not always the case. In trials controlling the power and using it at the right moment is absolutely essential, the precision required is far more profound. People often get a larger cc bike only to find it runs away with them when under pressure riding sections in competition.

If you are a bigish guy and have plenty of off road riding experience then a 250 would be better than the 125. But if you are pretty light weight and a complete novice to trials the 125 option maybe the sensible starting point. You can then easily upgrade once you feel you have gained some experience. 

Many MX riders come into trials thinking its going to be easy, cause its slow and the bikes are small... it comes as a bit of a shock to some when they actually go and ride proper sections, especially in competitions. 

Good luck! 

• Like 2

Our very own from the UK -  Katy Bullock - Trials and off road motorcyclist and stunt rider credited for stunt performance in many blockbuster films and also a contestant on the X-factor.

Go Katy!!

https://motivationalspeakersagency.co.uk/sports-speakers/katy-bulllock

Just shows that great trials skills can play a major role in stunt rider development!

Edited by Intotrials